Subject: Is anyone using 8-bit Indys for modelling?

From: "Graham W. Mullier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 1994 09:35:29 +0000 (BST)

Dear netters,

We are thinking of buying an SG Indy with base-level graphics (i.e. 8-bit)
to supplement the other workstations we have. We don't think we need
blistering 3-D graphics performance with this machine because we already have
an Indigo2 Extreme to do the more complex work for us.

We want to be able to run Sybyl, plus perhaps the CSD graphical interface,
Spartan and Oxford Molecular's Cameleon. With Sybyl we would be using it
mostly for small-molecule stuff plus some molecular spreadsheet work.

Our problem is that we haven't been able to see a demo machine yet, and hence
we can't decide whether the 8-bit graphics will be good enough for our
purposes.

SO: do any of you have experience of a base-level Indy? What's the minimum
specification that we should be looking at, in your opinion?

I'll summarise responses to the list (assuming I get any... 8-). Thanks in
advance.

Graham Mullier                -            [email-masked]
Computational chemistry group,
Zeneca Agrochemicals, Jealott's Hill, UK.