Subject: Re: SUN vs HP workstations

From: Andreas Windemuth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 94 10:43:52 -0400

>    First of all you may take into account usual benchmarks data as
> SPECint, SPECfp and LINPACK MFLOPS. There are:
>    workstation         SPECint92               SPECfp92
> HP9000 712/60          58                         79
> SUNstation 20 mdl 50   69,2                       78,3
> 

It might be worth noting that the 712/80 (80MHz PA-1.1) is
rated by HP at the same SPECfp92 as the 712/60 (60MHz PA-1.1).

There has been evidence that this (quite improbable) result
was achieved by intentionally slowing the benchmarks for the
faster machine, in order to protect the more expensive 7?5
line of technical workstations. Indeed, when we run MD on our
712/80, we find that its performance is more consistent with a
SPECfp92 rating of above 100, just what you would expect by
simple clock rate extrapolation of either the 735 or the 712/60.

From my experience, HP is faster than anything else
on the market, and they are pretty nice machines, too.

---
Andreas Windemuth

+--------------------------------------------------------------------
|Columbia University, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics
|630 West 168th St. BB-221 | tel: (212)-305-6884, fax: 6926, NeXTmail
|New York, NY 10032        | email: [email-masked]
+--------------------------------------------------------------------
I have no affiliation with HP and speak for nobody but myself.