Subject: Low cost Stereo viewing glasses

From: [email-masked] (Rzepa, Henry) (Rzepa, Henry)
Date: Mon, 30 May 1994 12:50:02 +0100

A company called S3D has recently come to my attention. In about 2 months
time, they expect to bring to market LCD shuttered glasses with a wireless
IR or cable link, to fit to NTSC or SCSI adaptors, with the purpose of
viewing PC and Macintosh monitors operating at <80 Hz in stereo 3D. Whilst
the final pricing may change, initial indications are that the IR linked
version will be less than $300, and a cable linked version <$100.  The
product is claimed to use new technology to reduce apparent flicker and to
improve performance.S3D do not expect to ship a 120 Hz version immediately,
but another company called LAMP may be producing such a version.

Of critical importance is whether software will support these glasses.
Does anyone know of such developments? At <$100 per system,
is this form of 3D viewing likely to take off in chemistry?

S3D are on 415 324 8581. I have no afiliation with them.

Dr Henry Rzepa, Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, LONDON SW7 2AY;
[email-masked] via Eudora 2.02, Tel:+44  71 225 8339, Fax:+44 71 589 3869.
From June '94: (44) 171 584 5774, Fax: (44) 171 584 5804
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa.html