Subject: Re: CCL:hyperchem.

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 May 94 10:44:56 GMT

Well Rafael,

What HYPERCHEM seems to have its dveoteed beleivers and its out-right
opponents. in concept it is good. But in reality it tries to do
everything and doesn't do anything extremely well. If protein work is
what you want to do and your systems aren't too big then perhaps it
will meet you needs. Many people in our department have tried it out
and have found that it is quite easy to get an answer out of it but
extremely difficult to be sure how good that answer is - So caution!

If you are into 'serious' computational chemistry then perhaps you
should consider a tool specific to your needs. PC hyperchem does take
a long time to do big calculations. We have run it on an SGI which is
better but if you are going to invest large amounts in hardware then
why not consider a system such as CERIUS or the BIO/POLYGRAF software
>from MSI?

Of course this is just my opinion.... I'm sure others will disagree.

Good Luck in your choice... you're the one who has to live with the
software! Why not ask for an evaluation copy?

Regards

Dave Tilbrook
**********************************************************
David Tilbrook              *   Tel: 44 483 300 800 x 2632
Polymer Group,              *                       x 2617
Chemistry Department,       *
University of Surrey,       *   Fax: 44 483 300 803
Guildford, Surrey, GU2 5XH  *
U.K.                        *
**********************************************************