Subject: HyperChem and software in general...

From: Leif Laaksonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 12:20:45 +0200 (MDT)

Dear CCL readers,

This HyperChem discussion takes incredible stupid forms. I have always 
been in the (stupid) believe that science is independent of the software
or hardware which produced it. I can hardly believe that supercomputers
produce better science than PC:s. But with supercomputers one can tackle
more difficult problems. All computational chemistry software is based on
some sort of approximations. Depending on the level of approximations
and size of system it can be run on different levels of hardware. In fact
it's good policy to run a particular problem on the lowest level of 
hardware which can handle the problem. Quite many write the final 
manuscript on a PC or on a Mac. Does this mean that a manuscript produced
on a PC or Mac is worse than a manuscript produced using LaTex on a 
workstation?

C'mon an paper is good or bad depending on its scientific value! 

I can still remember a few years ago when Apple was drumming that they
were using a Cray to design the next Macintosh. Then S. Cray told that
he was using a Macintosh to design the nect Cray.

Peace,

-leif laaksonen

Ps. I don't know hardly anything about HyperChem. I'm not even a happy 
    user so I don't know if the software is good or bad. I just don't like
    the way this discussion is going.

******************************************************************************
Leif Laaksonen                      *  On loan at:
                                    *
Phone: 49 89 3299????               *  Max-Planck-Institute for Astrophysics
Fax:   49 89 32993235               *  Karl-Schwarzschild-Strasse 1
                                    *  D-85740 Garching
                                    *  Germany
                                    *
--------URL: http://www.csc.fi/lul/leif/leif.laaksonen.html--------

                        Who has seen the wind?
                        Neither you nor I:
                        But when the trees bow down their heads
                        The wind is passing by.

                                             Christina Rossetti

******************************************************************************