Subject: Experimental Hydrophobicities and partial charges

From: [email-masked] (Eberhard von Kitzing)
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 94 10:35:46 +0200

Dear colleges,

in our lab we are estimating the radius of biological ion channels by means
of organic cations (for instance see David J. Adams, Terry M. Dwyer and
Bertil Hille (1980). "The Permeability of Endplate Channels to Monovalent
and Divalent Metal Cations." The Journal of General Physiology 75:
493-510).

To better understand the measurements it would be interesting if there are
some experimental values for their hydrophobicities.

Additionally, for model building studies I would like to know whether
people did calculations on the partial charges on these molecules.

The molecules are:
NH4
Methylamine
Dimethylamine
Trimethylamine
Tetramethylamine 
Hydrazine                          (NH2)2-C-C(NH2)2
Choline                            (Ch3)3-N-CH2-CH2-OH
Tris-(hydroximethyl)-aminomethane  (CH2OH)3-N-CH3

Thanks for your help in advance. I will compile a summary.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eberhard von Kitzing
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Medizische Forschung
Jahnstr. 29, D69120 Heidelberg, FRG

Carl-Zuckmayer Str. 17, D69126 Heidelberg (privat)

FAX : +49-6221-486 459  (work)
Tel.: +49-6221-486 467  (work)
Tel.: +49-6221-385 129  (home)

internet: [email-masked]