Subject: Sun SCSI disk on an Indigo

From: [email-masked] (Ghislain Deslongchamps)
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 94 15:41:45 ADT

Dear Netters,
     please forgive me for posting this here as it is a hardware related
question. I don't have an address for a more appropriate listserver.

     We are upgrading our Indigo XS24 to handle Quanta 4.0 and MacroModel
4.5 and need to add a 1 Gb external hard drive to the system.  We have
access to a new Sun 1.05 Gb SCSI disk and want to try to use it on the
Indigo.  After finding the proper SCSI adaptor cable and connecting the
disk to the Indigo we find that the Indigo recognizes the disk when the
"hinv" command is typed (we set the disk on SCSI address 5). However, the
System Manager's "Disk & File" window does not see the unmounted disk
resource.  We also tried the "Add_Disk 5" command but were told that it was
"unable to create a filesystem on SCSI disk 5".

Is it possible to use that Sun disk, if so how?  If not, what are our
options, Parity Inc.?

Thank you for your help

Ghis

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+    Ghislain Deslongchamps,  Assistant Professor   +
+    Department of Chemistry                        +
+    University of New Brunswick                    +
+    Fredericton, N.B.  CANADA  E3B 5A3             +
+    e-mail:  [email-masked]                       +
+    phone:   506-453-4795 (or 453-4792)            +
+    FAX:     506-453-4599                          +
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++