Subject: G92 LICENSING PROBLEM

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 94 10:40:27 LCL

I am at a large state university(U of TENN). The admin has  policy of support
ing a central comp center rather helping faculty to purchase individual
 work stations. In order to satisfy the needs of a number of faculty who
  need ab initio calc as PART of their research prog I have been trying to
 replace G90 by G92 on an IBM 3090 at the central comp center. The UT lawyers
 and The Gaussian lawyers have not been able to come to an agreement
  concerning the licensing. The problem seems to concern any legal
  problem which might arise out of the use of G92 !!!! would under TENN
  law have to be fought according to the laws here whereas G. is incorporated i
  in Illinois. I have heard that other UNIV have had similar problems. I would
  like to here from anyone who has had this problem particularly if they
  have been able to solve it. Our position has become desperate  because
  we need calc of geom and freq at at least the MP2 level and it is in these
  areas that G92 is much superior to G90.
        I would also like to here about other prog which are capable of doing
   MP2 or CCD geom opt and freq calc as efficiently or more so than G92
   which are easily available for a SUN or IBM/6000 work stn
          The future of several grad students and at least one professor
    depends on getting this problem resolved speedily !!!!
              John E. Bloor(PA13808 at utkvm1.bitnet or utkvm1.utk.edu
               or phone 615-573-5176)