Subject: Systems

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Luxon)
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 94 09:02:28 -0500

We have a number of SGI machines.  I find that I can almost always run fortran
and C programs written for RS6K and Ulrix on my SGI's after a little bit of
fiddling (sometimes none at all).  My experience is that routines written for
Sun boxes rarely run on my SGI's regardless of the amount of bashing I do to
try and make them work. I have Irix 4.0.5H and make no claims as to being an
expert with Unix, Makefiles or whatever though I am reasonably clever.

My question is - Is my experience unusual and can it be fixed with something
that I haven't figured out yet?  We are beginning the process of acquiring
several new machines and a purchasing guy is pushing Sun because they are
apparently cheaper (good - fast - cheap: pick any two) than SGI. My admittedly
limited experience makes me uncomfortable with going outside the SGI umbrella.

I would very much appreciate anyone's insight into this matter. Is my ex-
perience unusual or typical? Am I just missing a fix someplace or what?
The thought of mixing in an uncompatible OS with what I've already got seems
terrifying.  Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanx -

Bruce

____________________________________________________________________________
|                                      |                                   |
|"You can't always get what you want,  | Dr. Bruce A. Luxon                |
|   But if you try sometimes,          | Chemistry Department              |
|     You just might find              | Purdue University                 |
|       You get what you need ..."     | W. Lafayette, IN  47907           |
|                                      | (317)494-5289; Fax (317)494-0239  |
|                         Mick Jagger  | [email-masked]      |
|______________________________________|___________________________________|