Subject: Call-for-Papers: J. Porous Materials

From: Max Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 1994 16:18:48 +0800 (WST)

Dear netters,

I am pleased to enclose the following announcement and call-for-papers
for the new Journal of Porous Materials, to be published in 1994
by Kluwer Academic Publishers.   This is also available by anonymous FTP
>from world.std.com in the directory Kluwer/Journals/Materials_Science
(filename: jopo.inf for call-for-papers and instructions to authors;
jopo.toc for the tables of contents in future).

Please direct any further inquires to [email-masked] or 
[email-masked]

You are encouraged to submit original work on relevant topics as outlined 
in the scope.  All submissions should be addressed to:

Judith A Kermp
JOPO-Editorial Office,			PH: (617)871-6300
Kluwer Academic Publishers		Fax: (617) 8780449
101 Philip Drive, Assinippi Park	Email: [email-masked]
Norwell, MA 02061, USA

Please refer to the following call-for-papers and Instructions to Authors
for detailed information.

_------------------------------------------------------------------
JOURNAL OF POROUS MATERIALS

Editor-in-Chief
Sridhar Komarneni, The Pennsylvania State University (USA)

Co-Editors
W.C. Conner, University of Massachusetts, Amherst (USA)
J. Fricke, Universitt Wrzburg (FRG)
K. Ishizaki, Nagaoka University of Technology (Japan)
S. Yamanaka, Hiroshima University (Japan)

Aims and Scope

The Journal of Porous Materials is intended to be an
interdisciplinary and international periodical devoted to all types
of porous materials.  Its aim is the rapid publication high
quality, peer-reviewed papers focused on the synthesis,
processing, characterization and property evaluation of all porous
materials.  The objective is to establish a unique journal that
will serve as a principal means of communication for the growing
interdisciplinary field of porous materials.
Porous materials include microporous or nanoporous materials with
<2nm pores, mesoporous materials with 2 - 50 nm pores and
macroporous materials with >50 nm pores.  Examples of macroporous
or nanoporous materials are natural and synthetic molecular sieves,
cationic and anionic clays, pillared clays, tobermorites, pillared
Zr and Ti phosphates, spherosilicates, carbons, porous polymers,
xerogels, etc.  Mesoporous materials include xerogels,
aerogels, glasses, glass ceramics, porous polymers, etc.; while
macroporous materials include ceramics, glass ceramics, porous
polymers, aerogels, cement, etc.  The porous materials can be
crystalline, semicrystalline or noncrystalline, or combinations
thereof.  They can also be either organic, inorganic, or their
composites.  The overall objective is to generate a journal that
will deal with the basic and applied aspects of all the porous
materials.

BACKGROUND:  Over the last several years, there has been a dramatic
increase in the design and synthesis, characterization and property
evaluation of porous materials for catalysis, separations and
sensors.  The design and synthesis of porous materials is perhaps
more challenging than the synthesis of dense materials because the
former involves precise control of the processing parameters. 
Therefore, new strategies are being developed constantly for
the synthesis of useful materials.

NEEDS:  This comprehensive journal on porous materials is
justified, at this time, for the following reasons:

First, with increasing worldwide environmental concerns, the porous
materials field is growing rapidly because these are the materials
needed for separations of polluting species, recovery of useful
species, sensors, catalysis, etc., involving numerous fields.

Second, many articles on porous materials are scattered in journals
in a variety of disciplines.  This new journal is expected to
benefit the field of porous materials by providing a single forum
where they are dealt with.                      

Third, this is truly an interdisciplinary field that will bring
together chemists, materials scientists, ceramists,              
chemical engineers, biologists and agricultural scientists with
different perspectives and ideas.

SCOPE:  The scope covers, but is not limited to, the following
topics:
--Synthesis, processing, characterization and property evaluation;
Tailoring by physical and/or chemical treatments;
--Fundamental properties, such as liquid-solid, solid-solid phase
transitions in pores, effects of confinement on gases, 
liquids and organic molecules, adsorption, ion exchange and
sieving, molecular sieving, etc.
--Applications including optical, electronic devices, catalysis,
waste disposal, selective separation and fixation of hazardous
and radioactive ions and hazardous organic species, biological
materials and implants, porous sensors, porous membranes
for filtration of gases, liquids or melts, thermal insulation,
desiccation, gas storage,etc.

Editorial Board

Editor-in-Chief:
Sridhar Komarneni, The Pennsylvania State University (USA)

Co-Editors:
W.C. Conner, University of Massachusetts, Amherst (USA)
J. Fricke, Universitt Wrzburg (FRG)
K. Ishizaki, Nagaoka University of Technology (Japan)
S. Yamanaka, Hiroshima University (Japan)

Editorial Board:
M. Anderson, University of Wisconsin, Madison (USA)
J. S. Beck, Mobil Corporation (USA)
P. Behrens, University of Konstanz (FRG)
J. Brinker, Sandia National Laboratory (USA)
L. Cot, Ecole Nationale Suprieure de Chimie de Montpellier (France)
T. Golden,  Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. (USA)
L. W. Hrubesh, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (USA)
K. Kaneko, Chiba University (Japan)
M. Koizumi, Ryukoku University (Japan)
K. Kuroda, Waseda University (Japan)
J. Livage, Universit Pierre et Marie Curie (France)
D. Lloyd, University of Texas, Austin (USA)
G.Q. Lu,  The University of Queensland (Australia)
P.B. Malla, Thiele Kaolin Company (USA)
G. Marcelin, University of Pittsburgh (USA)
J.A. Martens, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium)
D. Quinn, Royal Military College (Canada)
H. K. Schmidt, Universitt des Saarlandes (FRG)
M. Shimada, Tohoku University (Japan)
D. M. Smith, University of New Mexico (USA)
J. Sterte, Chalmers University (Sweden)
M. Tsuji, Tokyo Institute of Technology (Japan)
J. Ying, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (USA)

******************************
* Instructions for Authors   *
******************************
Authors are encouraged to submit high quality, original work that
has not appeared in, nor is under consideration by,
other journals. 

PROCESS FOR SUBMISSION

1. Authors should submit four copies of their final manuscript to:
Judith A. Kemp
JOPO - Editorial Office            PH: 617 871 6300
Kluwer Academic Publishers         FX: 617 878 0449
101 Philip Drive, Assinippi Park   EM: [email-masked]
Norwell, MA  02061    USA 

For prompt attention, all correspondence can be directed to this
address.

2.Enclose with each manuscript, on a separate page, from three to
five key words.  Some typical key word examples are:
separation, zeolite, pillared clay, catalysis, sensor.

3.Enclose originals for the illustrations, in the style described
below, for one copy of the manuscript.  Photocopies  of the       
figures may accompany the remaining copies of the manuscript. 
Alternatively, original illustrations can  be submitted           
after the paper has been accepted.

4.Enclose a separate page giving the preferred address of the
contact author for correspondence and return of proofs.           
Please include a telephone number, a fax number, and an e-mail
address if available.

5.The refereeing is done by anonymous reviewers.

STYLE FOR MANUSCRIPT

1.Typeset, double or 1 space; use one side of sheet only (laser
printed, typewritten ad good quality duplication  
acceptable).

2.Use an informative title and provide an informative 100 to 250
word abstract at the head of the manuscript.  The           
abstracts are printed with the articles.  The abstract should be a
carefully worded description of the problem, the key             
ideas  introduced, and the results.

3.Provide a separate double-spaced sheet listing all footnotes,
beginning with Affiliation of author  and continuing  with     
numbered footnotes.  Acknowledgement of financial support may be
given if appropriate.

4.References should appear in a separate bibliography at the end of
the paper.  References should be complete, in the                 
following  style:

Style for papers:  Author(s) initials followed by last name for
each author, publication name, volume number in                  
boldface, page number, and year in parentheses.
     For example: J.X. Doe, W.T. Smith, and T. Wang, Physical
     Review 37, 2961 (1942).

Style for books:  Author(s) initials followed by last name, title
of book (in italics), publisher, city, year,  page or          
chapter number. Publisher, city and year should all be enclosed in
a set of parentheses.
     For example: R. M. Barrer, Zeolites and Clay Minerals as
     Sorbents and Molecular Sieves (Academic Press, London, 1978),
     p. 497.   

Style for articles in proceedings or edited book: Author(s)
initials followed by last name, publisher, city,  year,        
page. Publisher, city and year should be enclosed in parentheses.
     For example: K. Kuroda, M. Ogawa, T. Yanagisawa, C. Kato in
     Nanophase and Nanocomposite Materials, edited by S. Komarneni,
     J. C. Parker and G. J. Thomas (Materials Research Society, 
     Pittsburgh, 1993), p. 335. 

The references should be cited in the text using numbers, for
example [7].

5.Type or mark mathematical expressions exactly as they should
appear in print.  Journals style for letter symbols  is as
follows: variables, italic type (indicated by an underline);
constants, roman text type; matrices and vectors,  boldface       
type (indicated by wavy underline).  In word-processor manuscripts,
use appropriate typeface.  It will  be assumed that letters
in displayed equations are to be set in italic type unless you mark
them otherwise.  All  letter symbols in text discussion
must be marked if they should be italic or boldface.  Indicate best
breaks for  equations in case they will not fit on one line.

STYLE FOR ILLUSTRATIONS

1.Originals of illustrations should be sharp, noise-free, and of
good contrast.  We regret that we cannot provide  drafting        
or art service.

2.Line drawings should be in laser printer output or in India ink
on paper or board.  Use 8 x 11 inch size sheets  if               
possible to simplify handling of the manuscript.

3.Each figure should be mentioned in the text and numbered
consecutively using Arabic numerals. Specify the desired          
location of each figure in the text, but place the figure itself on
a separate page following the text.

4.Number each table consecutively using Arabic numerals.  Please
label any material that can be typeset as a table,  
reserving the term figure  for material that has been drawn. 
Specify the desired location of each table in the text, 
but place the table itself on a separate page following the text. 
Type a brief title above each table.

5.All lettering should be large enough to permit legible reduction.

6.Photographs should be glossy prints, of good contrast and
gradation, and any reasonable size.

7.Number each original on the back.

8.Provide a separate sheet listing all figure captions, in proper
style for the typesetter, e.g., 
Fig. 2. XRD pattern of     porous alumina gel isothermally heat
treated at 1273, 1373, and 1473 K at different holding
times. 

PROOFING
Page proofs for articles to be included in a journal issue will be
sent to the contact author for proofing, unless otherwise
informed.  The proofread copy should be returned to the Publisher
within 72 hours.

COPYRIGHT
It is the policy of Kluwer Academic Publishers to own the copyright
of all contributions it publishes.  To comply with the
U.S. Copyright Law, authors are required to sign a copyright
transfer form before publication.  This form returns to
authors and their employers full right to reuse their material for
their own purposes.  Authors must submit a signed copy
of this form with their manuscript.

REPRINTS
Each group of authors is entitled to 25 free reprints of their
paper.  Additional reprints may be ordered from the Publisher
prior to publication.  An order form will be sent to authors with
page proof.
 
-- 
Dr Max G Q Lu 		     	    | From 4/7/94: [email-masked]
School of MPE			    | Department of Chem. Eng.
Nanyang Technological University    | The University of Queensland, Brisbane
Nanyang Avenue, Singpore 2263	    | QLD 4072, Australia (Fax: 617-3654199)