Subject: Drug Design Seminar Serius

From: "Don Gregory" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jun 1994 12:18:51 +0000

Subject:                               Time:10:00 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          Drug Design Seminar Serius             Date:6/10/94
Seminar Announcements!

Announcing a free scientific seminar series presented by Molecular Simulations
Inc. (MSI) and Hewlett Packard.  Speakers for this program will discuss
innovative scientific methods for structure activity analysis  to enable users
to increase the efficiency of the lead optimization and lead generation cycle
in your organisation..  Topics will include:
 
	o  Pharmacophore model generation 
	o  Database search strategies
	o  Advanced QSAR techniques 
	o  Computer-aided compound selection 
	o  Molecular similarity
	o  Pseudo-receptor model generation

Coupling MSI's state-of-the-art modelling environment with the computational
speed of Hewlett Packard's PA-RISC 7150 micro-processor, Hewlett Packard and
MSI offer a complete solution that is fast, affordable, and easy to use.  The
series 700 model 735 workstation with the 7150 microprocessor running on 125mhz
with performance up to 154MIPS, is ideal for compute intensive and demanding
graphics applications.

To register for any of the following seminars, call Molecular Simulations Inc.
at (617) 229-9800, extension 567 in the U.S.  In Europe, call +44 223 413302,
extension 31.

MOLECULAR SIMULATIONS INC. AND HEWLETT PACKARD PRESENT:

STRATEGIES IN DRUG DISCOVERY SEMINAR SERIES IN THE U.S.
Monday, July 18
Cambridge, MA

Tuesday, July 19
New Brunswick, NJ

Wednesday, July 20
Research Triangle Park, NC

Thursday, July 21
La Jolla, CA

Friday, July 22
Burlingame, CA
(San Francisco Airport area)

THE AGENDA
8:00am	       Registration and Continental Breakfast

8:30am	      Introduction and Welcome
	    	 		
8:45am        Dr. Anthony Hopfinger, University of Illinois
 	           	"Strategies for the Construction of 
	           	  3D QSARs Based upon Molecular 
	           	  Shape Analysis"

9:30am        Dr. David Rogers, Molecular Simulations Inc.
	             	"QSAR Analysis using Genetic Algorithms"
	        	  
10:15am     Product Demonstration

10:30am       Coffee Break

10:45am       Dr. Peter Sprague, BioCAD Corporation
		               "Structure Activity Analysis with Catalyst: 
		                  Conversion of Peptide Lead Information into 
                     Non-peptide Drug Candidates"

11:30am        Dr. Simon Kearsley, Merck Research Laboratories
	                	"Computer-Aided Compound Selection Techniques"

12:15pm       Product Demonstration

=================================

STRATEGIES IN DRUG DISCOVERY SEMINAR SERIES IN EUROPE
Tuesday, 28 June
Stockholm, Sweden

Wednesday, 29 June
Paris, France

Thursday, 30 June
Frankfurt, Germany

Friday, 1 July
London, England

AGENDA
9:30am	       Registration and Coffee

10:00am	      Introduction and Welcome
		
10:15am       Dr. Anthony Hopfinger, University of Illinois
 	           	"Strategies for the Construction of 
	            	  3D QSARs Based upon Molecular 
		              Shape Analysis"

11:00am        Dr. David Rogers, Molecular Simulations Inc.
	               	"QSAR Analysis using Genetic Algorithms"
		 	 
11:45pm     Product Demonstration
	      
12:00pm       Lunch
	
13:00pm       Dr. Peter Sprague, BioCAD Corporation
		"Structure Activity Analysis with Catalyst: 
		  Conversion of Peptide Lead Information into 
     Non-peptide Drug Candidates"

14:00pm        Dr. Simon Kearsley, Merck Research Laboratories
		"Computer-Aided Compound Selection Techniques"

15:00pm        Product Demonstration

THE SPEAKERS
Dr. Anthony Hopfinger  -  Dr. Hopfinger is Professor of Medicinal Chemistry,
Chemistry and Chemical Engineering at the University of Illinois at Chicago. 
He received  his Ph.D. from Case Western Reserve University, and was an NIH
post-doctoral fellow at Harvard Medical School.  Following post-doctoral
studies, Dr. Hopfinger was a member of the faculty at Case Western Reserve
University.  In 1981 he joined G.D. Searle and Company as Director of Medicinal
Chemistry, and in 1985 he took up his current position.   Professor Hopfinger
has over 185 publications including three books, and is co-founder of three
companies focused on computational chemistry software and biotechnology.

Dr. Peter W. Sprague  -  Dr. Sprague was educated (BS, PhD) in synthetic
organic chemistry at Case-Western Reserve University and held acadmic positions
at Indiana Universityand California State University at San Bernardino.  He
joined Bristol-Myers Squibb in 1972 and was involved with various medicinal
chemistry projects including ACE inhibition and Thromboxane Antagonism until
leaving in 1991 to join BioCAD Corporation where he currently holds the
position of Vice President for Support. 

Dr. Simon Kearsley  -  Dr. Kearsley is currently  a Senior Research Fellow at
Merck Research Laboratories in charge of developing scientific computing
methodology relevant to drug design.  He earned his Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry
>from Cam-bridge University in England working with Professor Thomas.  Dr.
Kearsley also did post-doctoral work at Yale University with Professors McBride
and Prestegard.   

Dr. David Rogers  -  Dr. Rogers joined MSI in 1991, and is currently leading
the development of several applications based upon Genetic Algorithms.  He
earned his doctorate work-ing with Professor W. Todd Wipke at UC-Santa Cruz,
followed by post-doctoral appointments at the MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab
and the University of Michigan Cognitive Science Lab.  Dr. Rogers has since
published on a wide range of topics, including compu-tational chemistry, neural
networks, statistics, brain research, and genetic algorithms.

To register for any of the following seminars, call Molecular Simulations Inc.
at (617) 229-9800, extension 567 in the U.S.  In Europe, call +44 223 413302,
extension 31.