Subject: Polymorph Prediction Semina

From: "Don Gregory" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jun 1994 11:50:37 +0000

Subject:                               Time:11:34 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          Polymorph Prediction Seminars          Date:6/12/94
Seminar Series Announcement!

Announcing a free seminar series for Polymorph Prediction.
Polymorphism related problems are commonly encountered in:
Pharmaceuticals,  Agrochemicals,  Pigments,  Dyes,  Specialty chemicals, 
Explosives, and other formulation technologies.
Today, companies are encountering problems related to polymorphism, while
others are exploiting the patent extension opportunities offered by
polymorphism.  Numerous crucial physico-chemical properties may vary
dramatically among polymorphs:  product stability, shelf life, vapor pressure,
melting point, solubility, bioavailability, morphology, compressibility,
density, shock sensitivity, detonation velocity and detonation pressure.

During this free half-day seminar series, speakers will present, discuss, and
demonstrate C2oPolymorph in the Cerius2 environment, an exciting and innovative
technique to predict possible polymorphs of fairly rigid molecules from
scratch.  This novel Computational Instrument promises to be a break-through in
a controversial area.  In conjunction with other Cerius2 modules from the
C2oCrystal Growth Workbench, C2oPolymorph is an extremely powerful tool to
solve polymorphism related problems.

Coupling MSI's state-of-the-art modeling environment with the computational
speed of Hewlett Packard's PA-RISC 7150 micro-processor, Hewlett Packard and
MSI offer a complete solution that is fast, affordable, and easy to use.  The
series 700 model 735 workstation with the 7150 microprocessor running on 125mhz
with performance up to 154MIPS, is ideal for compute intensive and demanding
graphics applications.
To register for any of the following seminars, call Molecular Simulations Inc.
at (617) 229-9800, extension 567 in the U.S.  In Europe, call +44 223 413302,
extension 31.

POLYMORPH PREDICTION SEMINAR SERIES IN EUROPE
Monday, 4 July
London, England

Tuesday, 5 July
Brussels, Belgium

Wednesday, 6 July
Frankfurt, Germany

Thursday, 7 July
Basel, Switzerland
============
POLYMORPH PREDICTION SEMINAR SERIES IN THE U.S.
Tuesday, July 12
Research Triangle Park, NC

Wednesday, July 13
Valley Forge, PA

Thursday, July 14
Saddle Brook, NJ

Friday, July 15
Indianapolis, IN

============

THE AGENDA
8:30am	     Registration and Continental Breakfast

9:00am	     "The Commercial Impact of Polymorphism"
		Dr. Frank J.J. Leusen, MSI

9:30am      "The Novel Approach to Polymorph Prediction"
		Dr. Heinrich R. Karfunkel

10:30am   Coffee Break

11:00am      "Cerius2 for Polymorph Prediction"
		Drs. Frank J.J. Leusen 
		and Mark R.S. Pinches

11:30am      Cerius2 Product Demonstrations
		Dr. Mark R.S. Pinches

12:15pm     "Industrial Applications of C2oPolymorph"
		Dr. Stephen J. Maginn 

1:00pm        Close of  Seminar   

THE SPEAKERS
DR. HEINRICH R. KARFUNKEL  --   Dr. Karfunkel joined Ciba Geigy in Basel,
Switzerland, as group leader of central research molecular modeling in 1986 and
is now responsible for the transfer of new computational chemistry techniques
to Ciba Geigy world-wide.  He studied Chemistry, Biochemistry and Mathematics,
and received his Ph.D. in Theoretical Chemistry 
>from Tuebingen University, Germany, where he still lectures.  Dr. Karfunkel's
current research interests include polymorph prediction, QSPR, materials
design, and protein folding.

Dr. Mark R.S. Pinches  --   Dr. Pinches is a member of the materials science
development team and has implemented the innovative C2.Polymorph module in the
Cerius2 environment.  He received his Ph.D. in Chemical Physics from
Southampton University, UK, under the direction of Prof. Tildesley.  Before
joining Molecular Simulations, Dr. Pinches worked at the Parallel Applications
Centre of Southampton University.

Dr. Frank J.J. Leusen --   Dr. Leusen is Molecular Simulations' Crystal Growth
and Particulate Technology Products Manager.  He holds a M.Sc. degree in
Pharmacy from Leiden University and a Ph.D. in Chemistry from Nijmegen
University, The Netherlands, where he applied molecular modeling to study the
crystallization behavior of organic salts.  Since 1989, Dr. Leusen has acted as
an industrial consultant to Ciba Geigy, Switzerland.

Dr. Stephen J. Maginn  --  Dr. Maginn joined Molecular Simulations in June 1993
as Senior Applications Scientist after working for ICI/Zeneca's Corporate
Crystal Chemistry Team for four years, studying solid state problems throughout
the companies' product base.  He received his Ph.D. in Chemistry from Liverpool
University, UK.

To register for any of the following seminars, call Molecular Simulations Inc.
at (617) 229-9800, extension 567 in the U.S.  In Europe, call +44 223 413302,
extension 31.