Subject: AVS Scientific Visualization Course

From: Hong Ma <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 1994 12:55:12 -0400

Scientific Visualization Training for Professionals
                     in Research and Industry

**********************************************************************

Visualizing Your Data with AVS.....................October 17-18, 1994
Writing AVS Modules................................October 19-20, 1994
Visualizing Chemistry Using AVS.......................October 21, 1994

********************************************************************** 
Visualizing Your Data with AVS 
October 17-18, 1994

The course is an introduction to visualization and the Application
Visualization System (AVS).  As such, no prior experience with either will be
expected.  However, basic experience with UNIX(TM) and X Windows(TM) will be
necessary. 
The course goal is to teach researchers how to visualize their own data using
AVS.  Attendees are welcome to bring their own data sets to the course so that
they can leave with an AVS visualization of their own work.  Bringing your own
data is recommended, but not required, as there will be example datasets to
work with.  Guidelines for bringing your data will be provided to registered
attendees.
The course will include laboratory exercises on the material presented during
the lectures, along with an optional extended laboratory each day from
5-7p.m., during which you can work on your own visualization.

************************************************************************

Writing AVS Modules	
October 19-20, 1994

This course is an intermediate/advanced level course that provides all the
knowledge necessary to create your own customized AVS modules.  Students
should have taken the "Visualizing Your Data with AVS" course (see above) or
have the equivalent experience.  Students should also have a working knowledge
of either C or FORTRAN, although C is preferred.  Basic experience with UNIX(TM)
and X Windows(TM) is necessary.
The course includes laboratory exercises on the material presented during the
lectures, along with an optional extended laboratory each day from 5-7p.m.,
during which you can work on your own visualization.

************************************************************************

Visualizing Chemistry Using AVS
October 21, 1994

This course focuses on the application of AVS to computational chemistry
research.  The course goal is to teach researchers how to generate input deck
for, display and analyze data from computational chemistry programs such as
Gaussian, MOPAC and DMol, using available AVS modules such as Chemistry Viewer,
and NCSC Chemistry Modules. Students should have taken the "Visualizing Your
Data with AVS" course (see above) or have the equivalent experience.

The course  includes  laboratory exercises on the material presented during
the lectures, along with an optional extended laboratory each day from
5-7p.m., during which you can work on your own visualization.

**************************************************************************

REGISTRATION
For further registration information or registration confirmation, contact the
Training Registrar through e-mail to [email-masked] or by calling
919-248-1133.
Please fill out a separate form for each attendee.  Registration is
first-come-first-served based upon receipt of payment and this completed form.

Attendance will be limited to 15 due to the number of machines available in
the training lab (one per student).
Cancellations must be made at least two weeks prior to course starting date to
receive a refund.
Lunch and refreshments will be provided.

***************************************************************************

REGISTRATION FORM
ATTENDEE INFORMATION

NAME:

ORGANIZATION:

STREET:

CITY:                  STATE:                    ZIP:

TELEPHONE:                   FAX:

EMAIL:

DIETARY REQUIREMENTS:

I would like to attend the followin courses (please circle or underscore
applicable prices based on company type listed below):

                                                     A     B    C     D
Visualizing  Your Data w/AVS October 17-18, 1994   $500  $600  $600  $700
Writing AVS Modules          October 19-20, 1994   $500  $600  $600  $700
Visualizing Chemistry Using AVS October 21, 1994   $250  $300  $300  $350

Type of company:

	A= MCNC Partner* and Government or Nonprofit Organization
	B= MCNC Partner* and For-Profit Company
	C= Nonpartner and Government or Nonprofit Organization
	D= Nonpartner and For-Profit Company

	* Attendees employed and enrolled by a company having a partnership
	  affiliation agreement with MCNC. This includes sponsors of the IAC,
          Supercomputing Collaborative Research Partnerships, and MCNC 
	  affiliated companies.

PAYMENT METHOD:        _____ Check or Money Order (make payable to MCNC)
 		       _____ Purchase Order (Please attach)

MAIL COMPLETED FORM TO:
	MCNC - AVS Course Registration
	Attn:  Training Registrar
	P.O. Box 12889
	3021 Cornwallis Road
	Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2889

OR FAX THE COMPLETED FORM TO THE Training Registrar at 919-248-1101

************************************************************************

HOTEL INFORMATION

Students are responsible for making their own hotel reservations. 
Recommended area hotels are listed below.  For additional information
or assistance, contact the course registrar at 919-248-1133
<[email-masked]>. All of the following hotels provide complimentary
shuttle service to and from the RDU airport and to and from MCNC.
In addition each hotel has dining facilities.

A.Best Western/Crown Park        		919-941-6066
  4620 Miami Blvd. Exit 281 off I-40
  Corporate Rate:	$81.00-89.00/night
  Government Rate:      $70.00 
  Facilities:	Outdoor pool, sauna, whirlpool, health club

B.Guest Quarters 	                	919-361-4660
  2515 Meridian Parkway- off Hwy 55
  Corporate Rate:	$92.00/night
  Facilities:	Indoor/Outdoor pool, whirlpool, sauna, health club, lake with
  paddleboats

C.Holiday Inn                     		919-941-6000
  4810 New Page Road Exit 280 off I-40
  Corporate Rate:	$72.00-$89.00/night
  Facilities:	Outdoor pool, indoor jacuzzi, sauna, health club

D.Residence Inn	                         	919-361-1266
  NC 54 & 55 at I-40 (Off of NC55)
  Corporate Rate:	$65.00/night
  Facilities:		Outdoor pool, tennis

E.Sheraton Imperial Hotel 		919-941-5050
  Page Road Exit 280 off I-40
  Corporate Rate:	$88.00/night
  Facilities:	Arrangement with Imperial Athletic Club next to 		  hotel. Hotel Guests $8/per day
****************************************************************

MCNC's North Carolina Supercomputing Center is located at
3021 Cornwallis Road, Research Triangle Park, NC.

DIRECTIONS:

>From the RDU airport and all points east or west:

Take I-40 to the Durham Freeway (exit #279B, also marked NC 147 North
and Downtown Durham). Go North on the Durham Freeway and exit at 
Cornwallis Road.  Go through the first traffic light (Past the entrances
to Burroughs Wellcome Co.) to the next driveway on the right, which
is for MCNC, 3021 Cornwallis Road.

***************************************************************