Subject: deja vu all over again

From: "Anthony J. Duben" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 16:21:59 -0500 (CDT)

Netters,

The contributions from Zacher and Irikura are deja vu all over
again.  We boomers who got our Ph.D.s in 1969 and following (mine
was 1970) recall how the bottom fell out of the market then and
how immigration policy was then much like as it is now -- skimming
the cream of the foreign Ph.D. population.  On the one hand, as
one whose parents were foreign born, I would hate to see artificial
barriers set up to immigrants.  On the other hand, I see the
government's immigration policy a tool of those whose job is to
fill vacancies.  (If they don't have 500 applications for every
opening, they have a labor shortage.)   I wonder how many of
the would be immigrants are from developing countries and how
many are recruited from the well paid laboratories and universities
of the European Union and Japan.  And then we have people whose
only goal is to drive a cab in Miami -- and eat regularly -- who
are sent back into a hell hole.

Tony Duben

**********************************************************************

Anthony J. Duben
Southeast Missouri State University
Computer Science Department, Mail Stop 6800
1 University Plaza
Cape Girardeau MO 63701-4799
voice: (314) 651-2194
FAX: (314) 651-2244
bitnet:   C867BUC@SEMOVM
internet: [email-masked]

**********************************************************************