Subject: In-House vs. Contracted Mol Modelling/Drug Design

From: [email-masked] (Dawn Friedman)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 19:16:14 -0400

Email me if you'd like to provide answers to the following questions:
  
  1)  Do most pharmaceutical firms have in-house molecular modelling
departments?
  
  2)  How large are these departments in proportion to the rest of the
company?
  
  3)  Are there any firms that provide molecular modelling services on
a consulting basis?  Has anyone here dealt with such a firm (or worked
for one? Or "are one"?)
  
  4)  What's the minimum hardware/software needed to create a molecular
modelling facility with a shot at actually helping drug designers?  What's
the minimum personnel?  Is one hyperactive system manager enough, or will
she have a nervous breakdown from trying to teach modelling to the chemists
while keeping the system running?  Would a chemist with some computer
background be better than a computer type with some chemistry background,
or will they differ only in the details of their suicide notes <grin>?
  
  I do not, repeat NOT, want to bring a new (or reincarnated old) holy
war to the list, so please email, don't post.  Summaries will be emailed
to those who express an interest.
  
  Many thanks,
  Dawn [email-masked]
  "Heteroaromatics and other compounds with amusing MOs"