Subject: 'Successes' in molecular design

From: "Dr. Dave Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 94 10:27:26 EST

Some time ago someone asked for a list of examples where molecular design/comp 
chem methods have made tangible contributions to the development of  commercial 
bioactive compounds.  The discussion which followed pointed out that these 
methods are tools which assist the R&D, not black boxes which generate 
commercial products  by themselves.  Nevertheless I would be grateful if someone 
could provide a summary of the results of the survey.  I guess the neuraminidase 
inhibitor work resulting in influenza drugs in Phase II trials is a classic 
example.  Are there any commercial successes?

Cheers,

Dave
__________________________________________________________________________

   Dr. David A. Winkler                        Voice: 61-3-542-2244      
   Principal Research Scientist                Fax:   61-3-543-8160      
   CSIRO Division of Chemicals and Polymers
   Private Bag 10       
   Clayton, Australia.

   "Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans"