Subject: FROM COORDINATOR: Immigration not to be discussed on CCL

From: Computational Chemistry <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 1994 16:34:02 -0400 (EDT)

To all subscribers of the Computational Chemistry List:

Short version:

The discussion of immigration issues, job protectionism, and other such issues
as raised by the YSN post is hereby forbidden.  Those who continue to post on
this topic are in violation of CCL's rules, and they will be unsubscribed
immediately.

Long version:

I am currently serving as the list coordinator for CCL, as Jan is away in
Krakow right now.  Jan left instructions for every possible problem that might
occur on the list.  Or so I thought.

When I read the original post, I had a feeling it would cause trouble, but I
decided to let it pass and hope that it would attract little or no attention.
Unfortunately, an increasing number of increasingly hostile messages have
appeared in response to the YSN post.

CCL's rules clearly forbid topics which are not related to computational
chemistry.  Since the YSN article focussed on PhD's in all areas of science,
and not just chemistry, I conclude that the YSN article is not related to
computational chemistry.  Further, many of the reponses to that post have
taken the form of personal attacks, which are also forbidden by CCL's rules.
I also note that CCL is international in scope; I doubt that the US'
immigration policy is of much interest to those in India, Japan or New
Zealand.  For these reasons, I have decided to ban further discussion of
the YSN article.

I confess that I am not entirely comfortable with this decision.  I believe
strongly in freedom of speech, and the role of censor is not one that I enjoy.
But CCL is not the proper forum for discussions of this nature.  There are
plenty of USENET groups and mailing lists that would be more appropriate.  And
of course, there is private e-mail if all else fails.  Please remember that
freedom of speech does not guarantee a forum for discussing your views.  I
cannot forcibly prevent you from expressing your views, but neither am I
obligated to allow you to use CCL's resources for purposes other than those
which CCL was established for.

Some of you will not be happy with this decision.  Please do *not* post
complaints about my decision to the list.  This will also be treated as a
violation of the list rules.  You *may* send e-mail to me, if you wish, at
[email-masked]; however, it is unlikely that I will change my mind.  You may
also send mail to Jan at [email-masked].  If, when he returns, he decides that
my decision was the wrong one, I shall make an apology to all list members.
But given both the letter and the spirit of CCL's rules, I believe that my
decision is the right one.

Please note that there will be *no* penalty for those who have already posted
in response to the YSN article.  I will also allow a short "grace period" for
those who sent YSN-related messages before reading this message.  Thank you
very much for your cooperation.  I hope that CCL will continue to be a
valuable resource for all of you.

Sincerely,

Rob Berry
Associate List Coordinator, CCL
[email-masked]