Subject: Graduate programs in pharmacognostics?

From: "DAVID W. EWING (216) 397-4742" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 1994 09:14:57 -0500 (EST)

Since many of you on this list are in the medicinal sciences, perhaps you 
could help me.  One of my students is looking for a graduate program in 
pharmacognostics (pharmacognosy).  Which schools have such a program?  

Thank you for any suggestions you might have. 

Dave Ewing
John Carroll University
[email-masked]

---

From: "Peter Shenkin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 1994 11:00:53 -0400

On Jul 1,  9:14am, DAVID W. EWING (216) 397-4742 wrote:
> Subject: CCL:Graduate programs in pharmacognostics?

I'd advise him to be very careful.  This is only one step away from
pharmatheism, and we all know where that leads.  :-)

More seriously, what the hell is (or are) pharmacognostics?  I ask
publically, rather than privately, because I suspect that other
inquiring minds might also want to know....

	-P.

-- 
******* After the revolution, everyone will have a home page... ******
*Peter S. Shenkin, Box 768 Havemeyer Hall, Chemistry, Columbia Univ.,*
*New York, NY  10027;     [email-masked];     (212) 854-5143   *
*** ... but the Internet will be too busy for anyone to access it. ***

---

From: "Chris L. Waller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 1994 15:35:03 -0400

>From Tabor's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary:

pharmacognosy - the science of natural drugs and their physical, botanical,
and chemical properties.

That being the case, I guess the UNC School of Pharmacy has a program in the
Division of Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products. With regard to Natural
Products, I suppose the contact person would be K. H. Lee. One could speak
with Steven D. Wyrick (Acting Chairman) about the Program in general.

Chris

********************************************************************
*Chris L. Waller, Ph.D.                          PHONE 919-541-7976*
*Research Chemist                                FAX   919-541-5394*
[email-masked]                                          *
*Pharmacokinetics Branch (MD-74)                                   *
*ETD/HERL/USEPA                                                    *
*Research Triangle Park, NC 27711                                  *
*                                                                  *
*Disclaimer: Mention of trade names or products does not constitute*
*endorsement by the United States Environmental Protection Agency. *
********************************************************************