Subject: CCL: STATS: Wanted: Program to do cluster analysis

From: Mr Andrew D Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 94 17:19:47 BST

I have a set of data, basically x vs y, which forms a scatter graph. I would
like to analyses the data to see if there is any significant clusters, ie if
some of the points all fall within a cluster, and what the probability is
that this is a random effect. I have been through just about every system
locally to see if any of the stats packages here that can do this but have
struck a big 0. After going through a [email-masked] search for "cluster",
"analysis" and "program", I came up lots of potential programs, but they all
seem to deal with cluster analysis of rms deviations of whole or parts of 
molecules, either in a dynamics trajectory or of another database.

	All I want to do is enter x,y values and get the clusters defined in
some statistical way to show that families exists in the data.

What is the best way to proceed?

Andy.

--
###############################################################################
Structural and Computation Chemistry [email-masked] - JANET.
Department of Chemistry____________________________phone_______+44(483)-259591.
University of Surrey_______________________________fax_________+44(483)-300803.
Guildford, Surrey, GU2 5XH, UK_____________________ftp____________131.227.110.2
###############################################################################