Subject: no subject (file transmission)

From: [email-masked] (Todd J. Raeker)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 1994 14:39:02 -0600 (CDT)

I will be purchasing at least 2 high performance workstations
in the very near future and am soliciting advice from real
users rather the salespersons hype.

I will be doing MD simulations of systems containing about
15,000-20,000 atoms and need the fastest machine I can get
that is reasonable priced.  I have looked at the new      
IBM RS/6000 380 & 390 models and am very impressed with the
specs.  Since these are new models, I suspect not many people
on this list have one but if anyone has, I would be interested
in any experience you may have had so far.                   
                                                                                
Also, I would like to hear from people who have workstations
that have SPECfp92 ratings of about 150 or greater.        

As I write this I realize that most likely these types of questions 
come up periodically.  Being that most people on this list are ussually
involved in similiar searchs, it might be a good idea to maintain some
sort of FAQ summarizing the real life performance of workstations.  If
there is any interest and one does not already exist, I will volunteer
to maintain such a file that would be available via ftp. Let me know  
what you think.                                                      
                                                                    
Regards.                                                           
Todd