Subject: Hardware benchmarks

From: hou@agouron (Xinjun "Jason" Hou)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 1994 14:34:04 -0700

[email-masked] (Todd J. Raeker) writes:
>  I will be purchasing at least 2 high performance workstations
>...
>As I write this I realize that most likely these types of questions 
>come up periodically.  Being that most people on this list are ussually
>involved in similiar searchs, it might be a good idea to maintain some
>sort of FAQ summarizing the real life performance of workstations.  If
>there is any interest and one does not already exist, I will volunteer
>to maintain such a file that would be available via ftp. Let me know  
>what you think.                                                      

 Several sites contain benchmark information on various hardwares,
 many benchmarks are not comp. chem. specific:

   1) PDS, "The Performance Database Server",
      http://performance.netlib.org/performance/html/PDStop.html

      - a lot of information

   2) Anonymous ftp: "ftp.nosc.mil" in "pub/aburto"

      - bechmarks reported by individual users + ...

   3) [email-masked] (gopher: netlib2.cs.utk.edu 70) in 
      benchmarks/performance directory

      - LINPACK (from the oldest machine to the newest ones)

   4) "comp.benchmarks" newsgroup 
   
      - regular posting of FAQ.benchmarks and other things

Xinjun

C     Xinjun Jason Hou                                   [email-masked]
C     Agouron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.    #include <Standard_Disclaimers.h>
C10110000110100101101110011010100111010101101110010010000110111101110101