Subject: Summary - 3D programs

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 94 10:57:29 DFT

In the last week i asked for a public domain program which can handle 3D-plots
==============================================================================

As a result of my request i've got a lot of messages.
Most people has recommended "gnuplot".

Here are some messages:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"
++++++++++++++++++++++ 3D Plotting Packages ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Gnuplot 3.5
	It is one of the best 2- and 3-D plotting packages, with online help.
	It's a command-line driven interactive function plotting utility
	for UNIX, MSDOS, Amiga, Archimedes, and VMS platforms (at least!).
	You can practically find it everywhere (use Archie to find a site 
	near you!).

Robot
	Release 0.48 : 2-D and limited 3-D. Based on XView 3, written
	in C / Fortran (so you need a Fortran compiler or the f2c translator).
	Mainly tested on Sun4, less on DECstations. Check at
	ftp.astro.psu.edu (128.118.147.28),  pub/astrod.

PlotMTV
	tanqueray.berkeley.edu : /pub/Plotmtv1.3.1.tar.Z (~1 MB) - with source
	The program can do 2D and 3D line/scatter plots, vector plots, as
	well as contour plots. Contours can be plotted from regular rectangular
	meshes, triangular meshes, as well as random data.
"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- contour
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" There is program called contour which can create 2d countour plots.
I think you can get it from :
Host ftp.denet.dk    (129.142.6.74)
Last updated 14:24 20 Jul 1994
 
    Location: /mirror2/X11/R5contrib
      FILE    -r--r--r--  144942 bytes  04:00 12 Jun 1992  contour.tar.Z "
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- SciAn and Khoros
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" If you need the fancy stuff, my best guess for public domain programs are 
Scian, but it used to  run only on SGI or IBM with 3d graphics and z-buffer, or 
Khoros, which runs under X-window, it is less sophisticated than Scian in terms 
of screen output quality, and it is a bit difficult to install. 
but there are mailing lists and users group on the net devoted to khoros.
SciAn used to be distributed via anonymous ftp from ftp.scri.fsu.edu
The best way to find the latest version of Khoros is to search on the network
using Archie, Veronica or mosaic. "
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Molgen (but MS-DOS !?)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" Try Molgen, on ccl.net, /pub/chemistry/software/MS-DOS/MOLGEN-demo. "
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- pdraw
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My opinion:
pdraw can handle X-Y-Z-plots as points or lines. The output goes to screen
(X-Window) or/and to a Postscript-Printer. A problem is the description of the
axis and the legends with others than the standard-font (greek, symbols etc.).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- another program : 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" We have developed a package for such a visualization.
It plots a quantity as a texture on a molecular surface or
provides a chickenwire (stack-contour) plot or a dot surface.
Please supply more details of what and how you like to visualize.
                                             Professor Shridhar Gadre
                                             Department of Chemistry
                                             University of Poona
                                             Pune-411007. INDIA.
"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the helpfull informations !!

		[email-masked]