Subject: Hyperchem and IRIX 5.2

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey L. Nauss)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 15:06:45 -0400

One of our professors here at UC has been running Hyperchem on a
Silicon Graphics Indigo R4000.  The version of Hyperchem is the last
one that was supported on Silicon Graphics workstations.

Since upgrading to IRIX 5.2 from IRIX 4.0.5 starting Hyperchem results
in a core dump.  We suspect a fatal incompatibility between Hyperchem
and IRIX 5.2.  There are no error messages in the syslog file.
Another program, Spartan, appears to run well.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  It is very frustrating for our
professor as he raves about Hyperchem.  However, he prefers the speed
of his Indigo over the 486 PC which also has Hyperchem.  Right now his
only alternative is to return to IRIX 4.0.5 which is not completely
satisfactory due to other considerations.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

						Jeff Nauss

****************************************************************************
*  UU    UU             Jeffrey L. Nauss, PhD                              *
*  UU    UU             Director, Molecular Modeling Services              *
*  UU    UU             Department of Chemistry                            *
*  UU    UU CCCCCCC     University of Cincinnati                           *
*   UU  UU CCCCCCCC     Cincinnati, OH 45221-0172                          *
*    UUUU CC                                                               *
*         CC            Telephone: 513-556-0148    Fax: 513-556-9239       *
*         CC                                                               *
*          CCCCCCCC     e-mail: [email-masked]                    *
*           CCCCCCC                                                        *
****************************************************************************