Subject: Re: CCL:Hyperchem and IRIX 5.2

From: [email-masked] (Graham Hurst)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 16:41:04 -0400

Jeffrey Nauss <[email-masked]> asks:

> One of our professors here at UC has been running Hyperchem on a
> Silicon Graphics Indigo R4000.  The version of Hyperchem is the last
> one that was supported on Silicon Graphics workstations.
> 
> Since upgrading to IRIX 5.2 from IRIX 4.0.5 starting Hyperchem results
> in a core dump.  We suspect a fatal incompatibility between Hyperchem
> and IRIX 5.2.  There are no error messages in the syslog file.
> Another program, Spartan, appears to run well.
> 
> Has anyone else seen this problem?  It is very frustrating for our
> professor as he raves about Hyperchem.  However, he prefers the speed
> of his Indigo over the 486 PC which also has Hyperchem.  Right now his
> only alternative is to return to IRIX 4.0.5 which is not completely
> satisfactory due to other considerations.
> 
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
> 
> 						Jeff Nauss

Many HyperChem users have reported that HyperChem Release 2 for SGI
does not run properly with IRIX 5.2, and SGI has been told about the
problem. HyperChem R2 for SGI was an Autodesk product which Autodesk
dropped last summer and they no longer support it. Now that Autodesk
has returned the HyperChem rights to Hypercube (the HyperChem
developers), Hypercube is evaluating resurrecting HyperChem for SGI,
but has not committed to anything yet.

Hypercube does support running HyperChem molecular mechanics and
quantum mechanics modules on an SGI (or DEC Alpha or IBM RS/6000)
networked to HyperChem running on a PC.  Thus your professor could
run the HyperChem user interface on his PC while the calculations
ran on the Indigo - send email to [email-masked] for more details.
(We do support 5.2 for remote back ends.)

Cheers,

Graham Hurst
------------
Graham Hurst ([email-masked])
Hypercube Inc, 7-419 Phillip St, Waterloo, Ont, Canada N2L 3X2 (519)725-4040
Info requests to: [email-masked]    Support questions to: [email-masked]
Email group: Send "subscribe hyperchem" to [email-masked]