Subject: ACS Meeting Announcement

From: "J. Eric Slone" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 1994 11:30:54 -0400 (EDT)

IMPORTANT MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT

Designing Safer Chemicals

	The United States Environmental Protection Agency
(EPA) is hosting two sessions (morning and afternoon) entitled
Designing Safer Chemicals (these sessions are part of the
week-long ACS Symposium "Design for the Environment: The
Environmental Paradigm for the Twenty-first Century", sponsored
by the ACS Division of Environmental Chemistry, ACS National
Meeting, to be held in Washington DC, August 21-25, 1994).  The
Designing Safer Chemicals sessions are devoted to the concept of
utilizing medicinal chemistry principles for the design of less
toxic industrial chemicals, and will be held on Thursday, August
25, 1994 at the Washington D.C. Convention Center.  The purpose
of the Designing Safer Chemicals sessions are to: 

	1) 	stimulate chemical companies to: consider the
structural tradeoffs between efficacy and toxicity of chemicals
before they are made; consider the structural alteration of
existing chemicals to reduce toxicity while maintaining
efficacy; and to minimize toxicity whenever possible through
rational chemical design;

	2) 	stimulate academicians to consider basic
research in toxicological mechanisms that may lead to the
design of less toxic chemicals;

and 

	3) 	stimulate funding institutions to consider
funding academic research in the area of toxicological
mechanisms which could lead to the design of less toxic
chemicals. 

	Topics that will be covered by recognized experts
during the sessions include: toxic mechanisms; controlling
bioactivation; retrometabolic concepts; isosteric replacement;
controlling bioavailability; examples of functional groups or
chemicals of particular concern to EPA; and specific examples of
how safer chemicals have been designed by commercial
manufacturers.  The Designing Safer Chemicals sessions format
and speakers are presented below.  

For additional information contact:

	Dr. Stephen C. DeVito, US EPA, phone: 202-260-1748,
	FAX 202-260-1661, 

	E-Mail [email-masked]  	
or 
	Dr. Roger L. Garrett, US EPA, phone 202-260-4302, 
	FAX 202-260-1279

ACS SESSIONS*

"DESIGNING SAFER CHEMICALS"

Thursday, August 25, 1994
ACS National Meeting 
Washington D.C. Convention Center
Washington, D.C.

Two chemistry sessions devoted to the concept of
utilizing medicinal  chemistry principles for the design of less
toxic industrial chemicals. 

Sessions Format and Speakers:

Morning Session

Designing Safer Chemicals: A New Approach To
Pollution Prevention

Roger L. Garrett, U.S. Environmental Protection
Agency, Washington, DC 

General Principles for the Design of Safer Chemicals

Stephen C. DeVito, U.S. Environmental Protection
Agency, Washington, DC 

Designing Safer Chemicals: Role of Bioactivation in
Chemical Toxicity 

Marion Anders, Univ. Rochester, NY 

Predicting Rates of Bioactivation by Cytochrome
P-450, and its Application to the Design of Safe Chemicals

Jeffrey Jones, Univ. Rochester, NY 

A Biochemical Based Approach for Designing Safer
Nitriles

Stephen C. DeVito, U.S. Environmental Protection
Agency, Washington, DC 

Structure-Activity Relationships of Haloalkanes

Marion Anders, Univ. Rochester, NY 

Design of Biologically Safer Chemicals Based on
Retrometabolic Concepts

Nicholas Bodor, Univ. Florida, FL

Afternoon Session

Isosteric Replacement in the Design of Safer
Chemicals 

Scott Sieburth, Stony Brook Univ., NY 

Use of Computers in Toxicology

George W.A. Milne, National Cancer Institutes, NIH,
Bethesda, MD

Designing an Environmentally Safe Marine Antifoulant

G.L. Willingham, and A. Jacobson, Rohm and Haas
Company, Spring House, PA 

Imine-Isocyanate Chemistry: New Technology for High
Solids Coatings

L.D. Venham, D.A. Wicks, P.E. Yeske, ICD Coatings,
Miles Inc., Pittsburgh, PA

Non Isocyanate Sealants

M.F. DePompei, Tremco Inc., Beachwood, OH 

From Customer Focus to Pollution Prevention

J.L. Kostusyk, The Lubrizol Corp., Wickliffe, OH

Emulsion Polymers for the 90's

G.A. Ungefug, Para-Chem Southern, Inc., Simpsonville,
SC

"Everybody Wins" Technology 

G. Sugerman, Pi-Tech, Inc., Jersey City, NJ

* Part of the ACS Symposium "Design for the
Environment: The Environmental Paradigm for the Twenty-first
Century", sponsored by the Division of Environmental Chemistry.

For additional information contact: 

Dr. Stephen C. DeVito, US EPA, phone: 202-260-1748,
FAX 202-260-1661, 

	E-Mail [email-masked]  	or

Dr. Roger L. Garrett, US EPA, phone 202-260-4302, 
FAX 202-260-1279