Subject: Neural Net software

From: "Charles Manly" <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Aug 1994 11:47:33 -0500

Subject:  Neural Net software
Are there any recommendations for Neural Net software for UNIX (specifically
SGI)?
I will summarize.

Charles Manly
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (C.S.RAMAN)
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 1994 12:41:57 -0500 (CDT)

> Are there any recommendations for Neural Net software for UNIX (specifically

The neural network simulator I have used most is called XERION and is
available free-of-charge:

(a) You can get the source from the anon. FTP site:  ai.toronto.edu
Look in pub/xerion.

(b)  There is a mailing list for people using xerion.  See the README
file for more information.

(c) Questions, comments and bugs should be sent to [email-masked]

(d) Here is some additional information on XERION:

Xerion is a Neural Network simulator developed and used by the
connectionist group at the University of Toronto. This release
(Version 3.1) contains libraries of routines for building networks,
and graphically displaying them.  As well it contains an optimization
package which can train nets using several different methods including
conjugate gradient. It is written in C and uses the X window system to
do the graphics. It is being given away free of charge to Canadian
industry and researchers (and anyone else who wants it). It comes with
NO warranty.

This distribution contains all the libraries used to build the
simulators as well as several simulators built using them (Back
Propagation, Recurrent Back Propagation, Boltzmann Machine, Mean Field
Theory, Free Energy Manipulation, Kohonnen Net, Hard and Soft
Competitive Learning). Also included are some sample networks built
for the individual simulators.

There are man pages for the simulators themselves and for many of the
C language routines in the libraries. As well, xerion has online help
available once the simulators are started. There is a tutorial on
using Xerion in the 'doc' directory.

Xerion has been run and (pretty well) tested on the following
platforms:
SGI Personal Iris and SGI 4d running IRIX 4.0.1
Sun 4 running SunOS 4.1.2
Sun 3 running SunOS 4.0.3

It has been compiled and *minimally* tested on the following platforms:
DEC 5000 running ULTRIX
DEC Alpha running OSF/1
HP 730 running HP-UX 8.07	 (Thanks to Joe Devlin at USC). 

It has been tested with MIT X11R4 and X11R5 (libraries: Xaw, Xmu, Xt,
X11).  Xerion will probably run on other machines with some
modifications, but we haven't tested it on them and make no
guarantees.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
-raman
-- 
C.S.Raman                           
UNIX Programming & Administration   
SPARC & SGI Systems                 [email-masked] - INTERNET
Department of Biochemistry          [email-masked] - CHPC
UTHSCSA                             [email-masked]
7703 Floyd Curl Dr.                 (210) 567-6623   [Tel]
San Antonio, TX 78284-7760          (210) 567-6595   [Fax]
******************************************************************************
         If a man's wit be wandering, let him study the Mathematics
                                                            -Francis Bacon   
******************************************************************************