Subject: Re: CCL:Neural Net software

From: DWELROD <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 94 15:50:30 EST

>Subject:  Neural Net software
>Are there any recommendations for Neural Net software for UNIX 
(specifically >SGI)?

>Charles Manly       [email-masked]

I have used NeuralWorks Professional II/Plus on a Sun and have been very happy
with it.  It is also available for SGI, PC, Mac, RS/6000, and HP.  It contains
most every NN paradigm, has a point & click interface, and they have tools 
(at an extra cost) that allow you to define your own if you don't like the 
many that they provide.  It is quite expensive, $2000 for PC and $4000 for 
Sun, etc., but seems quite well done, and I have had good luck getting problems
solved by their support people.  There are lots of options and modifications you
can make within the basic software, so it is good for exploring.  
NeuralWorks is sold by NeuralWare, Inc., in Pittsburgh (412) 787-8222.

A much cheaper ($200?), backprop only package is Nets 3.0, sold by COSMIC, 
U. of Georgia, Athens, GA.  (706) 542-3265 , [email-masked].
NETS was developed at NASA and is marketed through COSMIC.  By the way, COSMIC
has a lot of other technical, scientific, and engineering software developed 
at NASA, but not much chemistry software.  NETS comes with compiled code for
either PC or Mac, but also has C source code that compiles on just about
anything.  It has a text-menu driven interface, but having the source code is
useful.

Dave Elrod
==========================================================================
    David W. Elrod, Ph.D.           Computer-Aided Drug Discovery
    Computational Chemistry         Upjohn Laboratories              
    301 Henrietta St.               Kalamazoo, MI  49007-4940
    Phone (616) 385-7772            Fax (616) 385-8488
                 Internet:  [email-masked]   
==========================================================================