Subject: Scientific Visualization Workshops

From: "Susan A. Martin (sam)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 94 15:21:28 -0400

THIS ANNOUNCEMENT AND REGISTRATION FORM ARE ACCESSIBLE VIA MOSAIC AT
		   http://www.tc.cornell.edu/Events

 			Cornell Theory Center
  	           Scientific Visualization Workshops
 
The Cornell Theory Center will hold two  unique workshops, back-to-back,

October 4-5, and October 6-7, 1994: 

*****************************************************************
Workshop #1: Scientific Visualization using IBM Data Explorer
October 4-5, 1994
*****************************************************************

The goal of this workshop is to enable participants to design 
scientific visualization, animated or still, with emphasis on large 
3D scalar and vector fields using IBM's Visualization Data Explorer
software (DX).  DX allows point-and-click program design and animation, 
providing an easily learned, flexible 3D graphics environment.

DX is an X-client which runs on the IBM RISC System/6000, IBM POWER
Visualization Server, IBM Scalable POWERparallel Systems, Silicon 
Graphics IRIS Indigo and IRIS Crimson, Hewlett-Packard 700 series, 
and SUN SPARCstations.
 
Program design, exploration of data sets and still image production can all 
be done on the workstations. The workshop will focus on the new release 
of DX, version 2.1.

This two day workshop will offer instruction and lab time on 
the Theory Center's IBM RISC System/6000 serial cluster.  

Topics covered by the workshop will include: 

 Overview of Visualization 
 Introduction to DX    
 Creating a program
 Importing data
 Creating macros 
 Building a Visual Program
 Advanced modules	

*****************************************************************
Workshop #2: Molecular Graphics and Animation Workshop
October 6-7, 1994
*****************************************************************

This event covers the basic principles of Molecular Graphics using the 
IBM Visualization Data Explorer (DX) software in combination with a 
publicly-available chemistry module suite (CM) written at the Theory Center. 
Although some previous DX experience is desirable, a SHORT introduction 
to DX will be included with the workshop. 

The workshop will cover the theory and use of the basic molecular graphics 
constructs such as space-filling and stick models, ribbon representations and 
molecular surfaces.  Visualization of Electrostatic fields, quantum mechanics 
and dynamics may also be covered. Little or no previous chemistry or computer
graphics training is assumed.

Good video animation practices will be discussed.  Participants will have 
access to RS6000 workstations running the latest version of DX (2.1) and 
have the opportunity to create an animated video or MPEG movie if time 
permits. The use of the commercial package RenderMan in conjunction with DX
will also be discussed.  Additional advanced topics including virtual reality, 
module writing and parallelism may be included if there is sufficient interest.

Participants are encouraged to bring their own data sets. Consulting
staff will be available to assist researchers in their visualization projects.

***********************************************************************

                         REGISTRATION

***********************************************************************

Participants must have prior experience with the UNIX operating system. 
The workshops will be held in the training facility on the fourth floor 
of the Engineering and Theory Center Building on Hoy Road on the 
Cornell University campus in Ithaca, New York.

Applicants are invited to attend either workshop or both.

To Apply

Due to restricted space, registration for this workshop is limited. 
PREFERENCE WILL BE GIVEN TO RESEARCHERS WHO ALREADY HAVE AN ALLOCATION
FOR CORNELL THEORY CENTER RESOURCES.  The completed application form, 
along with payment, must be received by August 31, 1994. Applications 
will be accepted after this date if openings still remain. The workshop 
fee includes all workshop materials.  Local participants may charge the 
registration fee to the appropriate Cornell University account number. 
Applications which do not include payment cannot be accepted. 
Payment checks will be returned promptly to applicants not accepted due 
to over-enrollment. 

Applicants should receive notification by September 7, 1994.

REGISTRATION FORM

Payment scale, per workshop, payable to Cornell University: 

Academic participants: $60
Corporate Research Institute members: $300

Please check the following:

____    I will attend workshop #1 Scientific Visualization using
	IBM Data Explorer October 4-5, 1994
						payment _______________

____    I will attend workshop #2 Molecular Graphics and Animation
	October 6-7, 1994 
						payment _______________

						TOTAL   _______________
						(must be received by
						August 31, 1994!)
Name __

Institution __

Address __

Telephone __

Fax __

Preferred electronic mail address __

Do you have a current Theory Center account: __no __yes 
	(if yes, who is the Principal Investigator?)

(e.g., RS/6000 Cluster, etc.)

Do you have a pending allocation request: __no __yes 

*Social Security Number: __
(required to set up new supercomputer accounts) 
	*Submission of social security numbers is voluntary and will 
	not affect eligibility for access to the Center's facilities.  
	However, they are an integral part of the National Science 	
	Foundation's information system and assist in managing the 
	Supercomputer Centers program.  SSN solicited under NSF Act 
	of 1950, as amended.

List special needs: __
(e.g., mobility impaired)

Account number to charge: __
(Cornell applicants only)

Academic discipline __
(e.g., mathematical sciences, biological sciences, geosciences, 
chemical engineering)

Please describe your graphics needs, objective for this workshop, and
specific research projects you will be using Data Explorer for, if any.

Status (check all that apply):

Academic __
Undergraduate Student __
Graduate Student __
Post-doctoral __
Faculty __
Smart Node Consultant __
Smart Node Advisor __
Other (explain): __

Corporate/Commercial
Research staff __ 
Other (explain) __
Name of Firm: __

Please indicate which of the following best describes you (optional): 

African American __
Caucasian __
Asian American __
Hispanic American __
Native American or Alaskan Native __
Other (please specify) __

This application form and payment must be received by August 31, 1994. 
Send to:

Jeanne Butler
Cornell Theory Center
427 Engineering and Theory Center Building
Ithaca, NY  14853-3801
(607) 254-8813
[email-masked]

Accommodations

Blocks of rooms will be held at the hotel listed below until dates 
specified. Attendees are responsible for their own reservations and meals. 
Paid parking is available on campus, but walking or use of the shuttle or 
bus service, where available, is recommended. 

Sheraton Inn
One Sheraton Drive, Ithaca
607/257-2000
FAX: 607/257-3998
Rates start at $65 per night
Release date:   September 12, 1994 

Other nearby hotels, blocks are NOT reserved at these:

Statler Hotel
Cornell University Campus
607/257-2500

Best Western University Inn
East Hill Plaza, Rt. 393 and Judd Falls Road, Ithaca
607/272-6100
FAX: 607/272-1518

All trade names referenced are trademarks or registered trademarks of 
their respective companies.