Subject: COMP Division of ACS

From: George R Famini <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 94 15:51:04 EDT

The DC American Chemical Society (ACS) meeting is rapidly approaching.
For those of you planning to attend, I invite you to look closely at the
varied and (I think) excellent programming the Division of Computers
in Chemistry (primarily Angelo Rossi, the outgoing Program Chair) will
be presenting.  In fact, over the past several years, COMP has dramitically
increased both it's membership and the quality (and quanitity) of prgramming
at national meetings.  Chicago (last Auguts) was the first meeting we 
offered concurrent sessions.  San Diego (this past Spring) had triple
simultaneous sessions.  Not bad for a Division that was close to disaster
8 years ago. 

But, in order for this to continue, I (as the incoming Program Chair) 
need your help.  We are currently planning for the next 2 years worth 
of national meetings (Anaheim, Chicago, New Orleans, Boston).  What 
symposia would you like to see at ACS meetings, that fit within the
charter of COMP, of course?  Both general symposia and those on a very
specific topic are welcome.  Also, we have ideas for a number of 
"future" symposia and are looking for organizers.  I will be putting
out the complete list (plus the symposia already lined up through
New Orleans).  Organizing a symposium is a very rewarding experience. 

The Program Committee meeting of COMP will be Sunday (21 August).  I'd
like to take some new ideas and suggestions with me then.  If you feel
you can make a contribution to COMP, either through organizing a symposium
or just making suggtions of possible topics, your assistance would be
greatly appreciated.

					George R. Famini
					COMP Program Chair
					(410)671-2552