Subject: GIC: Global Instructional Chemistry: http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/GIC/

From: [email-masked] (Rzepa,Henry) (Rzepa,Henry)
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 20:04:41 +0100

Do you have any interesting stories to tell about chemistry?
Something you might use in  your teaching, or as part of a lab?
Interesting laboratory preparations, or spectral
analyses? On-line manuals?  Ever
wondered where you could get  material for a tutorial at a moments notice?
Or that new lab course your chairman has told you to set up this fall?

Over the years, I have accumulated various snippets;
too short or to diverse to turn into a book,  but
perhaps useful to other instructors and students at both undergraduate
and postgraduate level.
 The World-Wide-Web offers one mechanism whereby we
 can all share in this wisdom. To facilitate this, a
 "Global Instructional Chemistry" page has been set up.
This contains at the moment six categories, varying in character, and
difficulty,
and each perhaps appealing to a different audience. They are intended as
demonstrators. If you feel this "clearing house" of chemical memorabilia is
useful, write and let me know. (put GIC in the subject field please!)
Even better, if you just happen to have some
material prepared for a course that you would not mind sharing with others,
send me the "URL" if you have already converted it to HTML,
(or a Microsoft rtf file if you are asking "what is HTML?") and we will
consider including it on the GIC
page (we have to reserve the right not to include of course). Rtf should travel
well across network, just "include" it as a document with your mailer.

The Future? Well, if each chemistry faculty in the world created just ONE
contribution, a "global chemistry academy" could be created! Does this do us
all out of a job? Far from it! This stuff still has to be
explained,examined and
"evangelised" by real people to real people. It just makes us all more
efficient,
and even dare I imply more "up-to-date" in our instructional chemistry. Clearly
if more material comes in, "editorialising" and organising will have to be
applied.
We also recognise that each department has its own style and content. This is
not meant to replace that, merely to provide a mechanism where useful chemical
information can be exchanged and acquired.

To view the existing material connect to the URL
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/GIC/
(or if that does not work)
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/GIC/.index.html

The intention is that this information be free, ie freely donated, and free
to all.
In due time, it could be pressed onto CD-ROM as a distribution method,
but lets leave that for the future.

Dr Henry Rzepa, Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, LONDON SW7 2AY;
[email-masked] via Eudora 2.03, Tel  (44) 171 594 5774 or 594 5809. Fax:
(44) 171 594 5804
World-Wide-Web URL: http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa.html