Subject: Need advice on SGI IRIX versions

From: Ramon Garduno <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 94 19:08:38 CDT

Dear Netters:

I have installed IRIX 4.0.5 on my SGI Personal IRIS, but some applications
do not work at all, e.g. InsightII v2.0.0 from BIOSYM.

I have been told by other fellow InsightII users that most likely I did not
installed properly IRIX 4.0.5. Nevertheless, I have seen InsightII working
fine with IRIX 4.0.4 since most of them complained of IRIX 4.0.5.

Now, I have now IRIX 4.0.4, but here goes the BIG QUESTION!

Can I install IRIX 4.0.4 over IRIX 4.0.5 without any complains from the
machine?.

I am afraid that some software like NFS 4.0.1, Development System 4.1.1, 
Ansi C 3.10.1, Fortran 3.5.1, IRIS Explorer 1.0, ImageVision Tools 1.0.3,
Motif Development System, 4.0.5, Network File System Maint, 4.0.5,
and NetLS LSSERVER, 1.0.1, that are installed already, will go bananas
once IRIX 4.0.4 is running.

Is it better to give another chance to IRIX 4.0.5?. If so, how shall I
check that all parts of the execution environment are being installed?

Thank you to all in advance.

P.S. Please, do not waste bandwith, send all your comments to me.  If enought 
interest arises, I will sumarize to the net.

--

____________________________________________________________________________
		  	 Dr. Ramon Garduno-Juarez
                     Research Professor in Biophysics
INSTITUTO DE FISICA                  |  EMAIL:  [email-masked]
UNIVERSIDAD NAL. AUTONOMA DE MEXICO  |          [email-masked]
Laboratorio de Cuernavaca            |  VOICE:	(73)175388
Apdo. Postal 139-B                   |          (73)111611
62191 Cuernavaca, Morelos            |  FAX:	(73)111603
MEXICO                               |		(73)173077
___________________________________ EOF _____________________________________