Subject: Re: CCL:REQUEST FOR INFO ABOUT MAC POWER PC

From: [email-masked] (Rzepa, Henry) (Rzepa, Henry)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 1994 22:48:34 +0000

>Does anyone know (1) if the new Mac Power PC (1) will run
>DOS  andWindows
>(in addition to Mac) software,
There are bundles with Insignia solutions SoftWindows software.
About 386 speed (although a new Apple emulator ROM is rumoured to
double the speed). Wait also for a new Connectix product, which is
supposed to be able to double PowerMac up in the I/O department

>and (2) how it compares in speed to the
>Pentium?
In native mode, an 8100 is certainly  faster than 66 MHz Pentium,
and very probably 90 MHz.

A PowerMac based on the PowerPC 620 chip may equal the MIPS
R8000 in performance (so rumours have it). A Mac based on this
will probably be the first >$15,000 system Apple have produced!

Also awaited in the PowerPC 604 chip, which will improve the
current 601 based products by perhaps factors of 2-4.

Dr Henry Rzepa, Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, London, SW7 2AY.
Tel: +44 171 594 5809. Fax: +44 171 594 5804. E-mail: [email-masked]
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa.html. Sent via MacPPP/MacTCP using Eudora 2.02.

---

From: Fred Dulles <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 1994 19:57:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 29 Aug 1994 [email-masked] wrote:

> double the speed). 

	If I read MacWeek and USENET Mac groups correctly, the rumored
new emulator (which may or may not work on current PPC based Macs)
will double the speed of 680x0 (i.e. the original Mac CPU architecture)
emulation rather than Intel emulation.  

	All in all, I would guess that the Insignia software is fine for
occasional use, but if you really want an Intel machine, a Mac isn't
the answer.  I can say from experience that the PPC Macs make fine
machines generally and are wonderfully fast running native code.

	Now all we need is a Mac version of Gaussian92...

					-Fred Dulles
__
Fred Dulles				[email-masked]
Department of Chemistry, 		University of Minnesota