Subject: Mathematica and WWW

From: [email-masked] (Rzepa, Henry) (Rzepa, Henry)
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 1994 07:32:16 +0000

We have implemented a MIME type for Mathematica notebooks;
application/x-mathematica   ma
You can try it out on
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/hm_second.html
(the last example)

Following discussions with WRI,
it appears that this format may also be adopted by Wolfram
Research Inc, and hence may be regarded as the de facto definition.

Agreement would enable interesting notebooks to be defined as
hyperlinks into WWW (and gopher) pages, and therefore incorporated
into courses, electronically published research papers etc.

There is one problem that needs solution. ma notebooks can have
initialisation cells that may perform unsuspected functions on a users
system, in contravention of the security guidelines. We also note that
Mathematica <<programs>>,  denoted by the suffix .m, also require
much thought regarding the security implications.

Does anyone have any interesting .ma notebook files relevant to chemistry
that they may wish to offer the community in this form?

Dr Henry Rzepa, Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, London, SW7 2AY.
Tel: +44 171 594 5809. Fax: +44 171 594 5804. E-mail: [email-masked]
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa.html. Sent via MacPPP/MacTCP using Eudora 2.02.