Subject: Structure of Polyanions

From: [email-masked] (David Bevan)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 1994 08:33:19 -0400

We are studying the ability of polyanions to act as enzyme inhibitors.  The
polyanions that we are using include heparin, dermatan sulfate, chondroitan
sulfate, polygalacturonic acid, poly(aspartic acid), and poly(glutamic
acid).  As part of these studies, we would like to generate computer models
of the interaction of the polyanions with the enzymes.  I can find
structures of short segments of chondroitan sulfate in the Brookhave PDB
and some structural information for the poly-amino acids (though only at
low pH).  Can anyone provide information (references or better yet,
coordinates for the models themselves) about models that have been
developed for these or other polyanions?  We are especially interested in
structural models of heparin.

*********************************************************
*   Dr. David R. Bevan                                  *
*   Dept. of Biochemistry & Anaerobic Microbiology      *
*   Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University   *
*   Blacksburg, VA 24061-0308                           *
*   Telephone: (703) 231-5040                           *
*   FAX: (703) 231-9070                                 *
*********************************************************