Subject: CCL:Dorothy Hodgkin died

From: [email-masked] (Toni Kazic)
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 09:59:42 -0500

Hello,

I thought readers of this list would be interested to know that Dorothy Hodgkin, an
eminent crystallographer and generally outstanding human being, died on approximately July
29th.  Apart from the intrinsic merit and beauty of the structures she determined (mostly
compounds of biochemical interest), her repeated findings of structures thought
theoretically impossible helped significantly to push chemistry forward.

Max Perutz' obituary of her for the Independent Newspaper (London), was posted to
bionet.xtallography by Paul McLaughlin (article 947).  He has graciously agreed to ask Max
if it may be posted here, but in the meantime you might want to have a look at it there.

Toni Kazic
Institute for Biomedical Computing
Washington University

---Administrivia: This message is automatically appended by the mail exploder:
[email-masked] -- everyone     | [email-masked] -- coordinator
[email-masked]: HELP CHEMISTRY  | Gopher: www.ccl.net 73
Anon. ftp www.ccl.net     | [email-masked] -- archive search
http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html |     for info send: HELP SEARCH to MAILSERV