Subject: allotropic sulfur question

From: [email-masked] (Douglas Smith)
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1994 17:08:30 -0500 (EDT)

Can someone give me some information on the allotropic form of sulfur when 
heated to 500 oC at ambient pressure? At this temperature the element is molten.

What temperature is necessary in order to cause sulfur to combine with carbon?
My Merck Index only says "cobines with carbon at high temperatures".

Thanks in advance.

Doug
-- 

Douglas A. Smith
Theoretical Chemist
Concurrent Technologies Corporation
1450 Scalp Avenue
Johnstown, PA 15904

voice:  (814) 269-2545
fax:    (814) 269-2798
email:  [email-masked]  !!!NEW!!!

Stadnard Disclamur: All opinions, comments, mistakes, endorsements and odd
noises are my own, not my employer's.

and still:

Douglas A. Smith                        voice:  N/A
Associate Professor                     fax:    N/A
Department of Chemistry                 email:  [email-masked]
 and
Center for Drug Design and Development
The University of Toledo
Toledo, OH  43606-3390

+---------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| "The juvenile sea squirt wanders through the sea searching for    |
|  a suitable rock or hunk of coral to cling to and make its home   |
|  for life.  For this task it has a rudimentary nervous system.    |
|  When it finds its spot and takes root, it doesn't need its       |
|  brain any more so it eats it.  It's rather like getting tenure." |
|    --source unknown                                               |
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+