Subject: Glycoscience Interest Group

From: Barry Hardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 94 12:41:43 +0100

Recruiting CCLers,
I would like to see some computational chemists involved in the
project announcement posted below. Get in touch if you are interested.

Barry J. Hardy

     In many branches of science electronic newsgroups and journals, World 
Wide Web and gopher are increasingly-used tools.  We believe that there is a 
potential demand for similar Internet-based resources in the 'glycosciences'.
We define 'glycosciences' as embracing all disciplines of science 
related to carbohydrate and glycoconjugate molecules, including organic, 
physical, biological and theoretical approaches. 
        As a first step in setting up a glycoscience network we consider
that an electronic newsgroup, to facilitate the exchange of information, 
data and discussion between scientists in the glycosciences, should be 
created.  This could be a fully-fledged BIOSCI newsgroup (accessible via 
USENET software or as a electronic mailing list) or as a prototype newsgroup 
which would be a straight electronic mailing list (with no associated USENET 
newsgroup) administered by BIOSCI for a trial six-month period.
        In order to gauge demand amongst the 'target' scientific community, 
we would welcome your comments. This is a prelude to any formal announcement 
in the BIOSCI newsgroups and any request for discussion and call for votes. 
Thus we invite all those who are, or are not, in favour of this idea to 
contact us, even though they have no other specific comments as to the form, 
name or purposes of the newsgroup. Those indicating interest will be kept 
informed as to developments such as any formal announcements through BIOSCI. 
In any e-mail reply, please include 'GIG' (acronym for glycoscience interest 
group) as the first part of any subject line in order to aid sorting.

Iain B. H. Wilson
Dyson Perrins Laboratory
University of Oxford
South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3QY
e-mail: [email-masked]

Barry J. Hardy
Computer-Aided Molecular Design Group
Physical Chemistry Laboratory
University of Oxford
South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3QZ
e-mail: [email-masked]