Subject: CompChem in High Schools

From: [email-masked] (Bob Gotwals)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 14:24:39 +0500

Friends,

Several years ago I posted a note asking for the opinions of practicing
computational chemists as to what topics and tools are appropriate for use
in high schools.  The goal, as I see it, is to help young students
understand the use and role of computational science as applied to
chemistry.  The gist of the responses previously was more of a discussion
of quantum mechanics or not, classical physics or not.....

I received MANY responses, with all points of view expressed.  I'd like to
re-open the discussion as to what is or is not appropriate in introducing
high school kids to computational chemistry.  We can provide our students
will access to the full range of platforms and software packages, so I
would hope the discussion would NOT be limited to PC-level tools and
techniques.

I'll summarize and post responses to the group, if anything interesting emerges.

Robert R. Gotwals, Jr.
Education Specialist
MCNC / North Carolina Supercomputing Center
3021 Cornwallis Road
Research Triangle Park
North Carolina, 27709
[email-masked]
(919) 248-9221
(919) 248-1101 FAX