Subject: please stop!

From: [email-masked] (The Man)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 15:58:39 -0400

Dear listserv members:

Please calm down! I did not mean to start a war by asking a question that
was too simple! 

Mr. Robert Topper mailed the list several days ago saying that the list is
not a place for someone like me to do research like I was doing. I replied 
off of the list that my intentions were misunderstood. 

My intentions were not to MAKE other people do my work for me. I was simply
asking where I could find some good info. I do realize that my request was
not entirely clear, and I am very sorry for any confusion. 

I did however get some very useful info about resources in general and about
my two elements off of the listserv. I am very thankful to those who replied.

I attend a school that is now almost entirely computer operated. My teachers
advocate the use of computers as resource tools. Many people get very useful
info about many topics off of listservs. I just tried to do the same thing, 
and this listserv is the only listserv that I found that has anything to do
with chemistry whatsoever!

As I wrote to Mr. Topper (and please don't take any of this the wrong way:)

I think the listserv is designed so that anyone can post a message that 
would like to. People on the listserv are not required to reply, although
they can if they wish. I am very thankful that I did get some responses to 
my question, because I mailed the list not expecting to get anything!

Also, (and again--don't take anything I say the wrong way), you do have some
people on this list that would like to know more about the elements 
scandium and cesium. I was overwhelmed with responses asking me to forward 
what I got on these two elements to them. They just wanted to learn, just as
I did. 

Face it--pretty soon our whole society is going to be computer dirven. (Yes, 
even libraries!!!--They already are!) I think the internet and especially 
this listserv are both excellent ways to get a head start on the future. 

Thank you all for reading all of my gibberish. I sincerely hope nobody
took anything that I said the wrong way. I did not mean to offend anyone's 
intlligence by asking a question that was too simple. I have always been 
taught that there are no stupid questions. That is why I felt comfortable
asking all of you a simple one. That is, until now. I feel that I have learned
that there ARE some stupid questions, and I just asked two of them. I am 
thankful to those who mailed me responses, and I hope that those people 
will agree with me (at least a little bit) that this listserv is a very
valuable learning tool. You just discouraged another young chemist from 
learning what you all already know and take for granted.

I am sorry I wasted your time. 

Dan

[email-masked]