Subject: Workstations vs vector supercomputers

From: Mikhail Kuzminsky -135-6388 <[email-masked]> (095)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 94 16:37 MSK

Dear CCLers !

   As I know, there was comparison of performance for some good
vectorized tasks of HP workstations (mdls 730 and 735) with CONVEX C3810
which have "traditional" vector architecture.

   The performance of workstations first increased with increasing of
size the solving task but then it arrive degradation of the performance
while the size of task continue to increase.

   The reason of this situation is the problem of cache- RAM exchanges.
For CONVEX C3810 this degradation is absent (performance go up).
    But it was private communication.

   I need the references to articles containing like data for tasks of
computer chemistry (quantum chemistry first of all) or at least for
some pure mathematical tasks. May somebody help me ?

Mikhail Kuzminsky,
N.D.Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry,
Moscow.
e-mail: [email-masked]