Subject: HS questions and CCL

From: Charles Letner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 14:09:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,
	Two threads have appeared in the last few days that are related. 
The first is the the questions on what is cesium, etc. from HS students and
the second is appropriate use of the CCL.  I shall risk posting this even
though I myself know that it is not "computational chemistry".
	There is little doudt that the HS "what is cesium" is
inappropriate to this list and that had the students bothered to check the
library or their chemistry text this question would not be needed. 
However, what is the correct response to this.  One response is to ignore
it and another is to give the requested information.  I propose another
way to handle the situation.  First, isn't at least good that these
students are trying to use new approaches to old problems?  Who on this
list wasn't assigned a similar project at some point in their education? 
Here however is the real link between inappropriate posts and the HS
questions.  It is a question of education.  We have all been quilty of
inappropriate post at one time or another.  Many times there wasn't the
awareness that the post wasn't really appropriate for this list.  We
probably learned this though flames.  Now, I am in NO WAY suggesting that
we should flame thse people.  Instead I suggest that a better way is the
polite way.  Let's try and educate these HS students as to proper net
etiquette and how they might find the proper place for their request. 
Afterall, isn't that a really good lesson if you plan on using the net
effectively?  Instead explain that a more concise question is needed and
that if it is a computational chemistry question (hey we might even
educate a few people about what computational chemistry is, not a bad thing)
this would be an appropriate place to ask.  As implied, a basic
description of what computation chemistry would not be a bad idea.  On
the other hand if it is a general chemistry question they could try
looking at the various news groups to find a more appropriate place to
post.  I don't really believe we should tell them the exact place to look
because then they have not learned to use the net to find usefull
information.  Yes, this does require more time on their part but if all
they wanted was the quick fix, do we really want to answer the question? 
Futher I think their teachers would be happier that they had to learn to
use a new resource to find information.  As for non-HS post a similar type
of message might also be more usefull than a flame that typically only
serves to embarrass or make the receiver mad.
	And now for the extinquisher.  I know this is not CC.  However, I
do think it is reasonable for the community of user that subscribe to this
list.  We all to often see general flames about inappropriate post
and even the occassional flame war (AKA, the what is ? email address) that
gets way out of hand.  It is easy to flame because there is no personal
contact with the person being flamed.  Aren't we more civilized than this?
 I hope so!  and with that I sit back and wait, I know they will come...
Bets regards to all, even those who will flame me,  :)
Chuck  

Charles Letner
Wright State University
Department of Biochemistry
Dayton, OH 45435
e-mail: [email-masked]