Subject: Re: CCL:please stop!

From: [email-masked] (Dr. Eric P. Wallis)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 16:52:56 +0100

Dan,  I think that you are a very bright young man.  I am glad that you had 
the guts to use the internet and ask questions about chemistry.  I hope that 
this little episode won't dampen your spirits.  Some people like to think 
that they are above certain questions.
I won't take this any further.  I am glad that you wrote to this listserv.  
Good luck in chemistry.
I hope that when my children are older, they will have the ability and 
desire to search for information in many places like you.

Dr. Wallis

At 03:58 PM 9/23/94 -0400, The Man wrote:
>Dear listserv members:
>
>Please calm down! I did not mean to start a war by asking a question that
>was too simple! 
>
>Mr. Robert Topper mailed the list several days ago saying that the list is
>not a place for someone like me to do research like I was doing. I replied 
>off of the list that my intentions were misunderstood. 
>
>My intentions were not to MAKE other people do my work for me. I was simply
>asking where I could find some good info. I do realize that my request was
>not entirely clear, and I am very sorry for any confusion. 
>
>I did however get some very useful info about resources in general and about
>my two elements off of the listserv. I am very thankful to those who replied.
>
>I attend a school that is now almost entirely computer operated. My teachers
>advocate the use of computers as resource tools. Many people get very useful
>info about many topics off of listservs. I just tried to do the same thing, 
>and this listserv is the only listserv that I found that has anything to do
>with chemistry whatsoever!
>
>As I wrote to Mr. Topper (and please don't take any of this the wrong way:)
>
>I think the listserv is designed so that anyone can post a message that 
>would like to. People on the listserv are not required to reply, although
>they can if they wish. I am very thankful that I did get some responses to 
>my question, because I mailed the list not expecting to get anything!
>
>Also, (and again--don't take anything I say the wrong way), you do have some
>people on this list that would like to know more about the elements 
>scandium and cesium. I was overwhelmed with responses asking me to forward 
>what I got on these two elements to them. They just wanted to learn, just as
>I did. 
>
>Face it--pretty soon our whole society is going to be computer dirven. (Yes, 
>even libraries!!!--They already are!) I think the internet and especially 
>this listserv are both excellent ways to get a head start on the future. 
>
>Thank you all for reading all of my gibberish. I sincerely hope nobody
>took anything that I said the wrong way. I did not mean to offend anyone's 
>intlligence by asking a question that was too simple. I have always been 
>taught that there are no stupid questions. That is why I felt comfortable
>asking all of you a simple one. That is, until now. I feel that I have learned
>that there ARE some stupid questions, and I just asked two of them. I am 
>thankful to those who mailed me responses, and I hope that those people 
>will agree with me (at least a little bit) that this listserv is a very
>valuable learning tool. You just discouraged another young chemist from 
>learning what you all already know and take for granted.
>
>I am sorry I wasted your time. 
>
>Dan
>
>[email-masked]
>
>---Administrivia: This message is automatically appended by the mail exploder:
>[email-masked] -- everyone     | [email-masked] -- coordinator
>[email-masked]: HELP CHEMISTRY  | Gopher: www.ccl.net 73
>Anon. ftp www.ccl.net     | [email-masked] -- archive search
>http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html |     for info send: HELP SEARCH to MAILSERV
>
>

***************************************************************
* Eric P. Wallis, Ph.D                                        *
* Computational Chemistry                                     *
* Phillips Petroleum Company       Office  (918)-661-7956     *
* 331A PL PRC                      FAX:    (918) 662-1097     *
* Bartlesville, OK 74004           email:   [email-masked]      *
***************************************************************