Subject: CCL:BS/MS Computational Chemists?

From: [email-masked] (Soaring Bear)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 94 09:57:22 -0700

Hello:
	Mailing to Bill Laidig bounced so I hope he'll see 
this here.
        As a computational chemist with just a BS I found
your posting quite interesting.   When I got my degree I
was able to continue work with the professor who trained me but
I considered that the scarcity of publicized jobs in this newly
developing field to be part of my impetus to go on to PhD
(where of course, I'll also become a better computational chemist).
        I suspect part of the rationale for a higher degree requirement
is that the average recent BS graduate hasn't really had the time
to learn BOTH chemistry & computers.   As kids learn computers in
grade school and calculus spreads more in high schools (assuming
a greater national interest in funding education) then comp chem
will also trickle down to lower levels.   It also helps when 
enlightened organizations join yours in lowering the barriers, 
making up deficiencies by OJT, and emphasizing employee retention 
to keep valued people.
	Until there are many positions, I doubt anyone will be
bothered by your rare notice to the several comp chem groups
of a position opening.

bear

* UU  UU                SOARING BEAR                   *
* UU  UU          Computer Aided Drug Design           *
* UU  UU A   University of Arizona, New Pharmacy 404   *
*  UUUU AAA    Tucson, AZ 85721       602-626-6133     *
*      AA AA         where the sun shines              *
*     AAAAAAA                                          *
*    AA     AA e-mail:[email-masked] *