Subject: Re: 'raw speed'

From: Mikhail Kuzminsky -135-6388 <[email-masked]> (095)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 94 23:11 MSK

Some additional remarks to benchmarks data and discussion what is
the difference between workstation and mainframe:

1) I may add the data for well known test 178 for Gaussian 92
(direct SCF, 300 basis orbitals) for SGI Power Challenge based on
TFP processors:

Nproc     Time (min)
1         14.93
2         9.03
4         5.80

    You may compare this data with data for another computers,I take
only Cray C90 8/256 data- 4.25 min .

     As you may see, the results are close to that received for
Amber runs: 4-CPU Power Challenge is close to C90 processor.

2) Therefore the question what when workstations will be supercompu-
ters is interesting :-)
   In addition to SGI Power Challenge , it's necessary take into
account CONVEX SPP1000 multiprocessor system. Both systems may be
upgraded up to very big configurations.
   Taking into account Cray T3D and Hitachi project (MPP on RISC
processors also) it look that like systems will be competitors of
usual vector supercomputers.
    In any considerations it's necessary take into account the price/
performance ratio, what may be better for MPP.

Mikhail Kuzminsky,
N.D.Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry,
Moscow