Subject: Quantum Chemist in Chile.

From: "RUBEN E. VENEGAS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 10:06:27 -0400 (EDT)

Dr. Ramiro Arratia-Perez writes:

>     this letter may shock you. Last Friday
>September 1 (16:30 hrs) the Personnel Officer
>(non-academic) send me a letter comunicating
>that the Pontificia Universidad Catolica de
>Chile decided to cancel my academic position.

Although  I think everybody will sympathize with you I think nobody will be
shocked (in USA).  At this moment, job security means nothing for thousand of
chemists working for private institutions in this country (I don't know about
academic or government positions).  I know many people who have lost their job
just like you, but with only five minutes of notification and having to walk out
of the premises immediately.  Like you, they are very good scientists, never did
anything wrong, always on time to work, good performance, etc., but everything
comes down to one thing: CUT COSTS FOR THE COMPANY AND IMPROVE PROFITS.

Ruben Venegas
Sr. Research Scientist
Fisons Pharmaceuticals
e-mail : [email-masked]

**All official and unofficial disclaimers apply**