Subject: Information on the 'DIBUG' list

From: [email-masked] (Reinhard Doelz)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 94 17:28:12 +0100

Colleagues, 
after the recent advertisement on the CCL we're getting a sort of mail burst  
with information requests of all kind. Instead of sending individual responses
to all of those who asked we decided to post the relevent information on CCL,
and We'll try to subscribe all those who desired to subscribe. However, we 
will consider information requests or empty messages as 'answered' with this
posting; please find relevant information on the list below. Please notice 
that the archives to DIBUG are online and can be queried with the usual tools. 

Thanks
Regards
DIBUG LIST ADMINISTRATOR

[the information below is taken from the 'welcome' sheet for new subscribers.]
==============================================================================

Welcome  to  DIBUG ("Discover, Insight, Biosym Users' Group"), an  unmoderated 
mailing list for discussion of Biosym products.  Expected topics of discussion 
include, but are not limited to, queries about  how  to  use  features  of the 
software, and how to solve scientific  problems  using the software.  Although 
this  list is administered by and for Biosym users, we expect Biosym Technolo-
gies, Inc.  to  monitor  the  list,  and perhaps to respond to issues that may 
arise.

[...]

To request  to  be added or deleted from the subscriber list, send electronic 
mail to:

        [email-masked]          

The return path  will usually be taken from the From: line of your electronic 
mail, unless you specify an alternative path. Presently, the list maintenance
is being done manually, so there is no set format for specifying things; just
use English.

[...]

If  you  wish to unsubscribe, or change your email address, please make sure 
that you mention what your previous address was to facilitate list manipula-
tions.

[...]

All mail sent to DIBUG will be archived at and is accessible via Internet
(see below). 

[...]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                       How to access DIBUG archives.

1) anonymous FTP
2) GOPHER
3) WWW

1) anonymous ftp to bioftp.unibas.ch (131.152.8.1) 

230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
ftp> cd DIBUG-mailinglist
ftp> ls
250-
250-                           Welcome to DIBUG!
250-                       [email-masked]           
250-
250-  All mails sent to DIBUG have been archived at bioftp. This is the 
250-  archive. The files can be transmitted as compressed files if you 
250-  specify file.Z rather than file. 
250-
250-
250-
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
total 6483
-rw-r--r--   1 manager      644 Jan 11  1994 .cache
-rw-r--r--   1 manager      122 Jun  4  1992 .hostdata
-rw-r--r--   1 manager      282 Mar  1  1993 .message
-rw-r--r--   2 manager     1645 Aug 23 02:33 current
-rw-r--r--   2 manager   202694 Jan  7  1994 dibug-07jan94
-rw-r--r--   2 manager   380526 Nov  9  1993 dibug-08nov93
-rw-r--r--   2 embnet    238069 Jul 14  1992 dibug-14jul92
-rw-r--r--   2 embnet    131332 May 29  1992 dibug-18apr92
-rw-r--r--   2 embnet    768844 Jan 18  1993 dibug-19jan93
-rw-r--r--   2 manager   728909 Aug 21 11:46 dibug-20aug94
-rw-r--r--   2 embnet    214476 May 29  1992 dibug-21feb92
-rw-r--r--   2 embnet    164724 Sep  2  1992 dibug-2sep92
-rw-r--r--   2 manager   266449 Jun  5  1993 dibug-5jun93
-rw-r--r--   2 embnet    216757 May 29  1992 dibug-6jul91
drwxr-xr-x   3 manager      512 Aug 28 08:19 old
226 Transfer complete.

(this list is slightly outdated; and has more up-to-date archives now). 

2) via gopher to bioftp.unibas.ch port 70.

GOPHER is a very interesting browsing tool which enables you to read in 
archives, do database searches and more. The gopher server at bioftp was 
established a few years ago, and is making the dibug archives available 
as well. The archives are re-indexed  each day. 

[...]

All you need is to binary ftp the correct image, and then 
% setenv TERM vt100 
% gopher bioftp.unibas.ch 

                    Internet Gopher Information Client v0.7

                                 Root Directory

          1.  About Gopher, and this bioftp site/
   -->    2.  DIBUG [Discover Insight Biosym User Group] Mailing list/
          3.  EMBnet Services/

...

[...]

3) via Mosaic/WWW/Lynx. 

These tools make use of the 'http' protocol.
You might get client software from frp.ncsa.uiuc.edu or info.cern.ch, 
respectively. The 'URL' you need to point your client to is 

           gopher://bioftp.unibas.ch/

This will give you a starting point for browsing the archives, as well
as additional information. You might want to check out the archive at Zurich
as well, http://www-bio.unizh.ch/, for information on a site running 
BIOSYM software and their software environment there.  

 R.Doelz         Klingelbergstr.70| Tel. x41 61 267 2247  Fax x41 61 267 2078|
 Biocomputing        CH 4056 Basel| electronic Mail    [email-masked]|
 Biozentrum der Universitaet Basel|-------------- Switzerland ---------------|
<a href=http://beta.embnet.unibas.ch/>EMBnet Switzerland:[email-masked]</a>