Subject: Mac->DOS/Model(l)ing

From: "Bruce E. Wilson ([email-masked]), Eastman Chemical Company" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 11:18:42 EDT

> Would anyone on the net know how to read MAC files on
> a DOS/MSWindows PC?  The files were created on a MAC computer 
> using MS WORD 5.x.  Any pointers to commercial/public
> domain software will be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks.
I have both a Mac and a Windows PC in my office and do this regularly.

If you have access to a Mac with a 1.4 Mb Floppy (aka SuperDrive),
it can write a PC floppy.  Apple File Exchange can copy the Mac
file to the PC disk (use the "no translation" option).  I normally
use AccessPC to make DOS disks look just like Mac disks.  Note
that you do have to rename the file into the xxxxxxxx.xxx format
required by DOS.  Word for Windows 2.x or Word for Dos 6.x will
read the Mac Word 5.x document.  I do find, however, that RTF
translates a bit more reliably between Dos and Mac than either
of the native formats, so if you can, have your collaborator
save the files as RTF, rather than native format.

If you don't have a Mac available, life is more complex (in more
ways than one, but that's a whole 'nother religous debate ;-) ).  
At one point, there was a DOS product that enabled a DOS machine
to read a Mac floppy.  I don't know for sure, but I believe 
it was called MACMOUNT, or something such.  Folks on info-mac
would probably have a better recollection of such
([email-masked]).

> modeling versus modelling.
At one point, I learned that the rule in English was that you
double a single final consonant when adding a suffix.  However,
my Word spelling dictionary says "modeled" and "modeling" are
correct, and my American Heritage dictionary lists the one ell
versions as the preferred spelling, with two ells as the secondary.
Finally, the last two papers I published in ACS journals had my
two ell spellings changed to one ell.  Relatively conclusive
evidence, I'd guess.

		Bruce Wilson ([email-masked])