Subject: spartan/gaussian

From: JULANNA V GILBERT <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 17:01:27 -0600 (MDT)

On Oct.10/1994 I requested help in printing the pictures generated by 
Spartan running on a RS/6000 Power PC onto a postscript printer.  I received 
numerous responses.  Several people suggested using screen 
grabber programs that are accessible from the internet.  So far, we have 
tried:

	xv, xgrab and collage

xv and xgrab can be found at ftp.x.org (a standard depository for x 
software).  collage was found at an NCSA center (we used Mosaic to find 
it).  Of these three, collage is the least cumbersome to use and gives 
fine output.  We are still experimenting with the colors that give the 
best results on our non-color HP laser printer.

Of course, since these are  all screen grabbers, you are 
limited by the resolution of the screen, and although the pictures are 
not truely fantastic, we feel that they are pretty good, and could 
probably be used in a journal publication since the picture would be 
greatly reduced in size for printing in the journal anyway.

Wavefunction (the company that wrote and sells Spartan) and other people 
told me that version 4 of Spartan will have printing capabilities so that 
users won't have to use these screen grabbing techniques.  (An upgrade 
does cost some bucks, so we may not be able to take advantage of 
the new version until our ship comes in.)

Other suggestions that were made but that we have not tried are:

	xwd with xpr, x24wd, kapture (from IBM UK, cost = 400 pounds)
	gemm and rasmo, imagemagick.

I still have the specific email messages sent to me on these other screen 
grabbers, and will forward them to anyone who is interested.

Thank you to everyone for your information!!! 

Julanna Gilbert
University of Denver