Subject: Re: CCL:PC Molecular Modelling

From: [email-masked] (Graham Hurst)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 12:23:27 -0400

Craig D Hamilton <[email-masked]> writes:

> Does anyone know of MSWindows based molecular modeling programs that will
> provide high quality color hard copies of ball and stick molecules? We have
> a color bubble jet printer.

The combination of HyperChem and ChemPlus can print high quality color
hard copies of ball and stick molecules, with or without shading.  The
Molecule Presentations module of ChemPlus prints at printer resolution
or can copy the molecular image to the Windows clipboard as either a
bitmap (screen resolution) or metafile (device independent) with full
control over colors, atomic radii, etc.  When ChemPlus metafile images
are pasted into other Windows programs, like Word or WordPerfect, they
will print at printer resolution.

ChemPlus is a set of extensions for HyperChem.  For more information
please send email to [email-masked].

You may find that you have to play with printer settings to get the most
pleasing output.  I find that the best output of shaded images occurs if
you choose diffuse halftoning instead of pattern halftoning, and use
screen-matched colors (these are options for the Canon BJC-600 but the
HP DeskJet drivers have similar options).  If your printer driver
doesn't offer diffuse halftoning (eg. you're using the Microsoft
Postscript driver), try adjusting the halftone screen frequency (lower
values give smoother shading but less detail).

At the risk of wasting further bandwidth on non comp. chemistry issues,
Windows users that are using the Microsoft Postscript driver might want
to know that Adobe has a "new" PS driver (since last spring I think),
ver 2.1.1.  This is the one that HP has on their BBS and ftp site
(192.6.71.2) as their current Postscript driver for Laserjet, Paintjet,
Deskjet and DisplayWriter printers.  You can also buy the driver
(for $25 or so) from Adobe, but check before buying that it has a PPD
file for your printer.

Hope this helps,

Graham
------------
Graham Hurst ([email-masked])
Hypercube Inc, 7-419 Phillip St, Waterloo, Ont, Canada N2L 3X2 (519)725-4040
Info requests to: [email-masked]    Support questions to: [email-masked]
Email group: Send "subscribe hyperchem" to [email-masked]