Subject: Focus on Microscopy 1995

From: Wendy Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 94 16:11:31 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

To: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked] (Jui-Ping Liao)
Subject: Focus on Microscopy 1995
Sender: [email-masked]
Nntp-Posting-Host: autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 16:57:31 GMT

                            FOCUS ON MICROSCOPY 95

A joint meeting of
8th International Conference on 3D Image Processing in Microscopy and  
7th
International Conference on Confocal Microscopy

April 18-20, 1995
Howard Plaza Hotel, Taipei, Taiwan, Rep. of China

                                CALL FOR PAPERS

_________________________________________________________________

                              SCIENTIFIC PROGRAM

   Scientific sessions start on Tuesday, April 18, 1995. Original
   contributions will be presented in the following areas:

Confocal microscopy

     * theory of confocal imaging
     * scanning confocal designs: point / slit arrangements, beam
       scanning, direct field scanning (bilateral, tandem)
     * high resolution optical 3-D Microscopy
     * two photon and time resolved fluorescence imaging
     * transfer functions and deconvolution

Applications

     * confocal microscopy in-vivo: approaches, problems and  
prospects
     * 3D imaging for agricultural research
     * fluorescence 3-D imaging in cell biology and neurobiology
     * fluorescent probes, in-situ hybridization
     * 3-D cytometry
     * microstructures of materals, polymers and thin films
     * application in environmental sciences

Near-field microscopy

     * near-field scanning techniques (NSOM, STM, AFM)
     * high resolution DNA - imaging
     * spectroscopy and surface modification
     * combined near-field and confocal designs

Optical tweezers and scalpel

     * instrumentation
     * applications

Electron Microscopy

     * cryo-microscopy
     * low-voltage SEM
     * electron beam tomography

X-ray microscopy

     * theory and instrumentation of x-ray microscopy
     * x-ray sources

3-D imaging processing

     * 3-D reconstruction of histological, optical and tomographical
       sections
     * visualization models in 3-D and 4-D microscopy
     * supercomputing in microscopy
     * analysis of serial section images, 3-D scene recognition
     * 3-D image restoration and image quality

              CONTRIBUTION AND PUBLICATION OF EXTENDED ABSTRACTS

   Papers are invited for oral and poster presentation from the  
fields
   indicated by the scientific program and related areas. Deadline  
for
   submission of abstracts is December 31, 1994. An extented abstract
   (minimum 700 words and maximum 1500 words) is required for each
   presentation, and will be published as a suplement issue of  
Zoological
   Studies (ISSN 1021-5506). All text will be typeset by the  
publisher.
   Authors are encouraged to submit their manuscript in electronic  
forms.
   Files created from the following word processos are acceptable,
   otherwise, please submit your manuscript in ASCII form (both Mac  
and
   IBM-PC format). Manuscript can also be submitted by e-mail to:  
elepcc@
   ubvms.cc buffalo.edu, however, a hardcopy has to be sent by mail  
(or
   faxed) to the address in USA. A hardcopy is required accompany the
   electronic form.

   Mac Word, Wordstar, Word Perfect, Microsoft Word, Ventura, ASCII

   Figures and photos are permitted, however they have to fit the
   following format specified in the photo and diagram format guide  
for
   direct photoreproduction. Original photographs (both B&W and  
color)
   and line drawings are required. If it is possible, authors please
   provide a FAX number to facilatate the transmission of galley  
proof in
   early 1995. The organizing committee will make a selection of the
   abstracts for oral presentation. By the end of January 1995  
authors
   will be notified about acceptance and the final program will be  
mailed
   to all registrants.

                                 ACCOMMODATION

   The Howard Plaza Hotel provides subtantially reduced room rates  
for
   conference participants of Focus on Microscopy '95. Hotel
   Accommodation at the Howard Plaza Hotel is offered on a first  
come,
   first served basis. Please refer to Focus on Microscopy '95 for
   qualifying the reduced room rates at booking: (refer to  
Registration
   form)

   Howard Plaza Hotel
   160 Jen Ai Road, Sec. 3
   Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China

   Phone: 886-2-700-2323
   FAX: 886-2-700-0729

   The room rate includes 10% service charge, welcome wine, fruit  
basket,
   newspaper and the use of health club facilities including sauna.  
Major
   credit cards (American Express, Visa, Mastercard, JCB, Diners  
Club)
   are accepted at the hotel.

                         REGISTRATION & CONFERENCE FEE

   The conference fee is US$220, which includes, documentation,  
abstract
   book and refreshments during breaks. A preregistration fee of
   US$180.00, is available when postmarked before January 31, 1995.

                             OFFICIAL AIR CARRIER

   China Airlines is the official air carrier of Focus on Microscopy  
95,
   special discount airfare is available through CAL's world wide  
branch
   offices.

                                  INFORMATION

    Registration, abstract forms and enquires:

N. America and Europe:

Focus on Microscopy '95 c/o Dr. P. C. Cheng
Advanced Micrscopy and Imaging Laboratory
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
State University of New York at Buffalo
P.O. Box. 84
Getzville, NY 14068
USA
Tel and Fax: 716-645-3868
e-mail: [email-masked]

Other nations:

Focus on Microscopy '95 c/o Dr. J. L. Wu
Institute of Zoology
Academia Sinica
Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan 11529
Republic of China
Tel: 886-2-789-9500
Fax: 886-2-789-9503/886-2-785-8059
e-mail: [email-masked]

                                  ORGANIZERS

C.P. Chen (Taipei)  G.J. Brakenhoff (Amsterdam)      A.Kriete  
(Giessen)
C.H. Chou (Taipei)  P. C. Cheng (Buffalo)(Chairman)  C.J.R. Sheppard  
(Sydney)

P.P. Hwang (Taipei) C. Cogswell (Sydney)             D.M.Shinozaki  
(London,Cana
da)
W.Y. Lee  (Taipei)  M. Gu (Sydney)                   E.H.K. Stelzer  
(Heidelberg
)
H.K. Wu   (Taipei)  V. Howard (Liverpool)            T. Wilson  
(Oxford)
J.L. Wu   (Taipei)  H. Kim (Rochester)
W.L. Wu   (Taipei)

      
_________________________________________________________________

             THE CONFERENCE IS JOINTLY O RGANIZED AND SUPPORTED BY

The Society for 3-D Imaging Sciences in Microscopy, Amsterdam
Institute of Zoology, Academia Sinica, Taiwan, R.O.C.
Electron Microscopy Society of China, Taipei, R.O.C.
Life Science Research Promotion Center, NSC, R.O.C.
AMIL, State University of New York at Buffalo, U.S.A.

_________________________________________________________________