Subject: SGI POP Server Summary

From: "Bruce A. Luxon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 13:21:42 -0600

Thanks to all who responded to my request for a Mac <-> SGI POP server. For
all those who requested a summary, here goes:

o  Did all this on an SGI Indigo XS24 R4000 with 48 Mb RAM running Irix 5.2.

o  Archie search on 'popper' returned numerous ftp sites.  I downloaded
   version 1.831 from lilac.berkeley.edu/pub/pop/popper/ which is POP3.

o  Had to add -cckr to the CCflags in the Makefile.

o  Had to comment out line 125 (ie /*      extern struct state     _res; */)
   in pop_init.c so it would compile.

o  make install and make installdocs wouldn't work so I put the executable in
   /usr/etc and the man page in /usr/local/man/manl.  Note that the man page
   isn't formatted so it requires Documenters Workbench on the SGI.

o  Made dir /usr/spool/mail which didn't exist.

o  Made links in /usr/spool/mail to the /var of the Mac users who have accounts
   on the Indigo (ie  ln -s /usr/var/mail/bruce .bruce.pop) otherwise POP
   couldn't find them to deliver mail though they could send.

o  Turned off the -d switch cause it quickly trashes up the SYSlog file with
   all sorts of debugger chitchat.

o  Did a /etc/killall -HUP inetd to restart the daemon.

o  Otherwise followed all the other instructions in the README file.

o  Seems to work fine so far.

Thanks to the following for their help:

James Vincent ([email-masked])
Jie Yuan ([email-masked])
Daniel H. Robertson ([email-masked])

Bruce...

-- 
*=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*
*  Bruce A. Luxon, Ph.D                                                    *
*  Assistant Professor                                                     U
*  Dept. of Human Biological Chemistry & Genetics                          T
*  University of Texas Medical Branch                                      M
*  Galveston, TX   77555                                                   B
*  (409)747-0599; Fax (409)747-0714                                        *
*  [email-masked]                          http://www.nmr.utmb.edu  *
*=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*