Subject: CCL: Alpha vs RS/6000 for g92

From: Tony Dyson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 12:20:37 +1000 (EET)

We are currently evaluating workstations for use running Gaussian. At 
this stage our options appear to be these:

	Alpha 200 4/233
	Alpha 3000/700
	IBM 37T (or maybe 3AT)

Although benchmarks such as Linpack TPP appear to favour the Alpha 
machines, examination of the tables of Gaussian run-times that have been 
posted recently on CCL would indicate that this is not a good predictor 
of performance running Gaussian. My own tests with an Alpha 200 4/166 
lead me to believe that the Alpha 200 4/233 will come in 5-10% slower 
than the IBM 37T. I know nothing about the 3000/700!

If anybody has any experience with these machines running Gaussian, 
especially if you can shed some light on how the various architectures 
affect performance, I would _love_ to hear from you.

	Tony

================================================================

  Mr. Anthony J. Dyson		[email-masked]
  Dept. of Physics		phone: +49 21 5425
  University of Newcastle	fax:   +49 21 6907
  Callaghan, Australia, 2308

================================================================