Subject: Re: Look for Refs. of Rational Drug Design

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 09:17:56 EST

Arthur Wang writes:

<I am looking for some references of rational drug design. Would you 
<please give me some hints?

I have several references that may be of interest to you:
	
1.Electronic sources:
	Lisa Balbes' Guide to Rational (Computer-Aided) Drug Design, February 
1992; accesible via gopher to www.ccl.net (directory and file: Internet
file server (ftp) Sites/Chemistry/pub/chemistry/documents/drug.design.guide) 

2.Books:
	Burger, A. A guide to the chemical basis of drug design, John
Wiley & Sons: New York, 1983 300p
	Coulson,C.J. Molecular mechanisms of drug action, Taylor & Francis:
London, 2nd ed., 1994 294p
	Medicinal Chemistry: The role of organic chemistry in drug research,
Ganellin,C.R., Roberts,S.M.,Eds.; Academic Press, London, 2nd ed., 1993 302p
	Goodman and Gilman's the pharmacological basis of therapeutics,
Gilman,A.G., et al., Eds., Pergamon: New York, 8th ed., 1990, 1811p
	Comprehensive medicinal chemistry: the rational design, mechanistic
study & therapeutic applications of chemical compounds; Hansch,C.(chairman of
the editorial board), Pergamon Press: Oxford, vol. 1-6, 1990
	Conformation in biology and drug design, Hruby,V.J.,Ed., Academic:
Orlando, Fla., 1985 495p
	The application of charge density research to chemistry and drug
design; Jeffrey,G.A.; Piniella,J.F.,Eds.; Plenum Press:New York, 1991 409p
	Frontiers in drug research: crystallographic and computational methods;
Jensen,B., Joergensen,F.s., Kofod,H., Eds.; Munksgaard: Copenhagen, 1990 418p
	A textbook of drug design and development, Krogsgaard-Larsen, P.;
Bundgaard, H., Eds.; Harwood Academic: Chur, 1991, 643p
	Kubinyi,H. QSAR: Hansch analysis and related approaches; VCH: Weinheim,
1993 240p
	Molecular design and modeling: Concepts and applications Part A
Proteins, peptides, and enzymes (Methods in enzymology Volume 202), Part B
Antibodies and antigens, nucleic acids, polysaccharides, and drugs (Methods in
enzymology Volume 203); Langone,J.J.,Ed; Academic Press, San Diego, 1991 
824+764p
	Martin, Y. Connolly Quantitative drug design: a critical introduction;
Marcel Dekker: New York, 1978, 425p
	Martin, Y. Connolly; Kutter,E.; Austel,V. Modern drug research: paths
to better and safer drugs, Dekker:New York, 1989 507p
	Computer-Aided Drug Design. Methods and Applications, Perun, T.J.,
Propst, C.L., Eds.; Marcel Dekker: New York, 1989 493p
	Medications development: drug discovery, databases, and computer-aided
drug design, Rapaka,R.S., Hawks,R.L., Eds.; National Institute on Drug Abuse:
Rockville,MD, 1993 288p 
	Bioreversible carriers in drug design: theory and applications, Roche,
E.B., Ed.; Pergamon: New York, 1987 292p 
 	Silverman, R.B. The organic chemistry of drug design and drug action;
Academic: San Diego, 1992 422p 
	Smith,H.J. Smith and Williams' introduction to the principles of drug 
design, Wright: London, 2nd ed., 1988 333p

3.Articles:
	Bugg,C.E.; Carson,W.M.; Montgomery,J.A. Drugs by design, Scientific
American, 1993, 92-98.
	Kuntz,I.D. Structure-Based Strategies for Drug Design and Discovery,
Science 1992, 257, 1078-1082.
	Kuntz,I.D.; Meng,E.C.; Shoichet,B.K. Structure-Based Molecular Design,
Acc. Chem. Res. 1994, 27, 117-123.
	Verlinde,C.L.M.J.; Hol, W.G.J. Structure-based drug design: progress,
results, and challenges, Structure 1994, 2, 577-587.

Also, Dr. David A. Winkler posted quite a while ago a summary on success 
stories in molecular design.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan Fercu                         | 	E-mail (Internet):	         
Computational Chemist             |    	        [email-masked] 
Department of Chemistry           |       	[email-masked]
Millis Science Center, 309S       |     Phone:  +1 (216) 368-3606
Case Western Reserve University	  |	 	+1 (216) 368-3699
2074 Adelbert Road                |   	FAX:   	+1 (216) 368-3006     	
Cleveland, OH 44106-7078, USA     |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------