Subject: IBM Offers Added Customer Protection for Systems

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 94 12:05:50 EST

From: Dennis J. Gerson, Ph.D.
      Technical Market Support; Chemical Sciences
      ---------------------------------------------------
Subject: IBM Offers Added Customer Protection for Systems

The following press release was issued by IBM today regarding the
Pentium problem and systems replacements.  I am posting this on the
CHEMISTRY MAILSERV because of the interest in this issue and in
response to numerous email messages from my colleagues on "what is
IBM planning to do about this".

Regards, Dennis Gerson

------------------------------------------------------------------------

IBM Offers Added Customer Protection for Systems
with Pentium Microprocessors

November 30, 1994

IBM today announced that it will implement a series of programs
designed to assist customers who experience a problem with Intel
Pentium* microprocessors in IBM systems.

Intel last week acknowledged a defect in its Pentium
microprocessor that can cause inaccurate results in some
mathematical applications.  Like Intel, IBM expects a very
small number of customers to be affected. IBM is taking
extra steps to ensure that all its customers are protected.

In addition to working closely with Intel to resolve
the issue, IBM will for its customers and business partners:

     - Establish telephone numbers worldwide to help
       customers determine if they have a problem, and work
       with them to implement an appropriate resolution.

     - Upon customer need, provide for replacement of
       Pentium chips.

     - Add an informational letter to all products shipped
       with a Pentium processor.

Effective December 1 at 9:00 a.m., customers in the U.S. can
call 800-426-3389 for more information.

* Trademark of the Intel Corporation.

---------------------------------------------------------------
IBM POWER Parallel Systems Division |Tele:(214)406-7267 Fax:7246
1503 LBJ Freeway MS/280750          |IBMLINK: USIB5MSK @ IBMMAIL
Dallas TX 75234  USA                |Email: [email-masked]