Subject: Re: CCL:Xmol

From: [email-masked] (David C. Doherty)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 1994 10:21:50 -0500

At 11:26 AM 12/2/94 +0000, Dirk Huckriede wrote:

>Where can I obtain a copy of the Xmol program ?

Instructions for downloading and installing XMol
may be obtained at:

   ftp://ftp.msc.edu/pub/xmol/README

An online, hypertext version of the User's Guide,
tutorial, etc. can be found at:

   http://www.arc.umn.edu/GVL/Software/xmol/XMol.html

This site will soon be updated with a Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ) section. This will feature such favorites
as:

  "Is there a version of XMol for [DEC Alpha, HP, and
   Linux...]?"

   [preview: no, no, and           no...]

--

  While I'm here, some of you may recall that I once requested
geographic locations of sites using XMol.  This was intended
to help us prepare an animation of the worldwide downloads of
XMol for part of an episode of the PBS show "Newton's Apple."
The segment, which features XMol, looks at how scientists use
the internet.  Here in the Twin Cities, this episode will
be shown on 12 Dec. at 19:00 CST.  I've been informed by my
mother that it has already been aired on the New York City
affiliate (a science teacher at the high school at which she
teaches asked her what her son's first name is...).

  So if you live in the US (or North America or wherever else
Newton's Apple is seen), and you want your kids to get a taste
of your life on the Internet, I suggest calling your local
PBS affiliate and inquiring when the "Internet Newton's Apple"
segment is showing.  They should know what you mean.

(now, if this post communicating to you about a TV show about
scientists communicating isn't an example of Life imitating
Art imitating Life...)
--

  Finally, someone on this list asked what might be the effect on
XMol of the acquistion of the Minnesota Supercompter Center, Inc.
by Cray Research, Inc.  Any effects on future versions and/or
distribution of XMol by this event have not been determined.
When this becomes clear, we'll make an announcement in this
forum.

--

  Thanks for putting up with the long post and I now return
you to your regularly scheduled Perfervid Pentium Pandemonium
(or should that be just Pentiumonium?).

...hmm..this post was so chock full of information, I wonder if
it qualifies me for a special e-mail request dispensation...nah...
...thanks and keep up the good work Jan...thanks for the Pentium
humo(u)r Tom...why did Scientific American call you, Henry?...

;)

---
David C. Doherty
Minnesota Supercomputer Center, Inc.
[email-masked]