Subject: Coalition to Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide Homepage (fwd)

From: [email-masked] (Jesus M. Castagnetto Mizuaray)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 17:17:30 -0500

Follows something (funny?) from http://samsara.circus.com/~no_dhmo/.
Can't decide yet if it's a big joke or some example of misinformation
and paranoia against chemicals.

>>> INCLUDED MESSAGE
Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide!

 The Invisible Killer

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands
of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of
DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged
exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO
ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling,
nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become
dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death. 

 Dihydrogen monoxide:

   is also known as hydric acid, and is the major component of acid rain. 
   contributes to the "greenhouse effect." 
   may cause severe burns. 
   contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape. 
   accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals. 
   may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile
   brakes. 
   has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients. 

 Contamination Is Reaching Epidemic Proportions!

Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and
reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even
been found in Antarctic ice. In the midwest alone DHMO has caused millions of
dollars of property damage. 

 Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

   as an industrial solvent and coolant. 
   in nuclear power plants. 
   in the production of styrofoam. 
   as a fire retardant. 
   in many forms of cruel animal research. 
   in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains
   contaminated by this chemical. 
   as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products. 

Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to
stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and
we cannot afford to ignore it any longer! 

 The Horror Must Be Stopped!

The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of
this damaging chemical due to it's "importance to the economic health of this nation."
In fact, the navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with
DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during 
warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through
a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities
for later use. 

It's Not Too Late!

Act NOW to prevent further contamination. Find out more about this dangerous
chemical. What you don't know CAN hurt you and others throughout the world. Send
email to [email-masked], or a SASE to: 

Coalition to Ban DHMO
211 Pearl St.
Santa Cruz CA, 95060

     Back to the Circus home page 

Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide! / The Coalition / [email-masked] 
>>> END INCLUDED MESSAGE
-----
    Jesus M. Castagnetto Mizuaray      | "Organic Chemistry: The practice
Dep.of Chemistry - New York University | of transmuting vile substances 
4 Washington Pl, Room 514. NY 10003    | into publications" (The Last Word-
    [email-masked]       | The Ultimate Scientific Dictionary)