Subject: What makes Gaussian fast ?

From: [email-masked] (Teerakiat Kerdcharoen)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 11:42:29 +0100 (NFT)

Dear cyber-chemists,
        I have experienced using both GAMESS and Gaussian 92 on
AIX platform. Gaussian 92 always runs faster than GAMESS in
most case. I have found on a review article where written Gaussian
spend the computation at the cost of N**2.7 not N**4 as 
conventional Hartree-Fock scheme (N = no. of Gaussian primitives).
        Which special algorithms are tailored into Gaussian ?
Could somebody point me out a hint or direct me the the proper
references I could read through in more detail. Thanks a lot for
any responses.
                                                take care,
                                                Teerakiat

 PS. The energy obtained from GAMESS is always lower than from
     Gaussian. Therefore, I believe that the speed is gained
     at the sacrifice of some precision.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teerakiat Kerdcharoen (NOY)

Institute of General and Inorganic            Austrain-Thai Center for
and Theoretical Chemistry                     Chemical Education & Research
Innrain 52a, A-6020 Innsbruck                 Department of Chemistry
AUSTRIA                                       Chulalongkorn University
                                              Bangkok 10330  THAILAND
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
***  Love is easy to start but hard to stop